SailingX

SailingX (http://www.sailingx.com/forums/index.php)
-   Dock talk (http://www.sailingx.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   What is your worst overnight race incident ? (http://www.sailingx.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2158)

Blackice 03-14-2013 12:45 PM

What is your worst overnight race incident ?

I have more than I care to remember......

But a few come to mind right away.

- The Speed sensor popping out of the thru hull. There was about 3 feet of water in the boat before we found it.

- The door to the oven opening and putting dinner in the bilge (lasunga)

- The decks becoming very slippery after the Lasunga was ejected from the oven.

- Running out of fuel for cooking

- Breaking the Boom on Dauntless before we even made Race Rocks. ( shortest Swiftsure ever ! About 3 hrs )

I am sure I will think of some more.... Just give me a day or two.

So lets hear some!

vachon 03-14-2013 12:48 PM

Mmmmm.... lasunga

Schnick 03-14-2013 12:57 PM

Straits on the old Killer Bee, now the Diva: Forgot dinner food in the fridge in Squamish, survived on Clif bars the whole way around.

First Straits on the M32: Poolie got one of his restaurant owning buddies to do the food, consisting of pasta and some sort of topping can't remember. The pasta was precooked and he was instructed to pour hot water over it through a colander to warm it up.
Being a Melges 32 we did this in the cockpit.
Being Italian the cook had coated the pasta with Olive oil.
17 knots or so Downwind in the dark, minimal nonskid to begin with, olive oil all through the cockpit, then I think we added an ovelapped rounding of Halibut bank with Radical Departure onto that combination. Pretty exciting.

On Schock 35 Schock Therapy, Swiftsure race: Owner disappeared after start, operated his bong for an hour, passed out for rest of day. Got up before dark, steered for a bit, went downstairs, bong, sleep again. Me and one other guy aside from the owner had raced a boat before, the rest of the crew were press ganged from this guys' company and were visiting from South Carolina to boot, they were not much use in the dark and cold in Juan de Fuca. Fack.

Swiftsure on TP 52 Mayhem, just before dark, round the lightship, owner proceeds to have a heart attack, unload him on the Coast Guard near Neah Bay, this story has all been told before. Still had to sail home through the night, no longer racing, everyone in a pretty awful state of mind.

Southern Straits on Karma with CK, and Vaca Loca passed us - by far the worst of any of these!

Blackice 03-14-2013 01:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Schnick (Post 19501)
Southern Straits on Karma with CK, and Vaca Loca passed us - by far the worst of any of these!

I can only imagine .....

Ultraman 03-14-2013 01:29 PM

Hong Kong to San Fernando - 480 nm on a ULDB 70 over Easter. First 40 hours were 35-40 knots at 40 degrees apparent with a No. 4 and two reefs in the Main. Continuous green waves breaking over the boat as we smashed over and over again into the oncoming sea. For some reason left my fleece behind and it was freezing. As soon as we got back to civilization I bought the best Goretex Foulies I could find...

However, beers were <$0.50 when we got to the Peens...

Steve 03-14-2013 03:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blackice (Post 19499)
- Breaking the Boom on Dauntless before we even made Race Rocks. ( shortest Swiftsure ever ! About 3 hrs )

I think it was the same year, first time at Swiftsure, first time for my Dad's Aphrodite 101, boat performed well but we got soaked, cold and generally uncomfortable during the beat upwind, with the submarine-type-bow of the 101 going under every other breaker for 12 hours straight.

On the downwind, about 2:00 AM in 20+ knots of breeze and driving rain, I was sleeping and called onto deck ASAP. In my foggy mind, I didn't even think to get dressed. The spin halyard clasp had let go, and my brother was going up the mast. I found myself, wearing tshirt and underwear, standing in the companionway, winching him up the mast. As my brain began to wake up I realized it was pretty dumb for me to be in this condition. Couldn't exactly leave him half way up, banging against the mast, though. We got the halyard back and eventually got the kite up again.

Karma 03-14-2013 03:52 PM

seeing a massive pot of chili drop onto the cabin floor at 7pm rounding Ballenas during Straits about 6 years ago.
seeing the chili being scooped back up into the pot by various sailing gloves....
trying to walk around in 25+knots of wind below with chili all over the floor grrrr.

Or the year after, same boat....3/4 of the way to Neah Bay hearing that there was no fuel on board and the frozen chili was going to be doled out to crew with the help of a knife. That one was skipper's responsibility.....I'll never forgive that one, along with the same skipper asking me along for a pre straits delivery from Comox to WVYC with no water, one beer and a bag of lime nacho chips. 16 hours later we arrived....

Jackass.

got no point 03-14-2013 03:56 PM

Entrance Island race 1980 or 1981, me, Ross, Jason and my Dad sailing a "suped-up" Swiftsure 24 called Tyche. Racing downwind in 20 plus knots to Entrance chasing boats like the "Happy Squid". We come around Entrance in the middle of the night to go upwind and bang, down comes the rig. Get it on board but the motor won't start. Towed all the way back to RVYC by the Coast Guard cutter Moorhen.

Blackice 03-14-2013 05:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by got no point (Post 19511)
Entrance Island race 1980 or 1981, me, Ross, Jason and my Dad sailing a "suped-up" Swiftsure 24 called Tyche. Racing downwind in 20 plus knots to Entrance chasing boats like the "Happy Squid". We come around Entrance in the middle of the night to go upwind and bang, down comes the rig. Get it on board but the motor won't start. Towed all the way back to RVYC by the Coast Guard cutter Moorhen.

I was most likely on "Happy Squid" when that happened....

Day4Kid 03-14-2013 07:10 PM

Southern Straits 199something aboard a C&C 44 - It was blowing pretty hard and while I was off watch we broached with the spinnaker up. I was sleeping in the Nav station which was across from the galley - the first thing to hit me was a drawer full of kitchen knives, the second thing was the half frozen half scalding vat of chilli that was atop the stove. there is nothing like waking up to sharp, burning, frozen, WTF is in my eyes, why do I taste so good feeling... After I bandaged my wounds and cooled the burnt parts of myself with the frozen chilli bits I opted to wedge myself in the aft berth on the windward side of the double bunk. I was snoozing away happily when we once again broached, this time to windward. I immediately looked up to see a very large crew member falling from the other side of the bunk down on to me... That was the first of many times I swore I'd never do that race again...

Swiftsure 2012 - Accidentally got a ride on a dry boat...

StephenC has the best distance racing story though... paging StephenC to the forum... StephenC?