border
Home      Register      Show Groups      Photos      Videos     

SailingX > Racing > Racing

Notices

Racing Tales from the course

Old 04-29-2017

It was a great day - thank u! Learning to sail in different areas is always a challenge - great conditions and competitors make it fun - so thank u again!

We will be back
Old 04-29-2017

Send a message via Skype™ to frfletch

Very good fun today. Thanks to WVYC, all organizers, and everyone who came out to make it a fun event.
Old 04-30-2017

Shortest and most expensive race ever.

Just got nicely lit up under spinnaker after the start when we hit an enormous 50-foot semi-submerged log, thicker than a telephone pole. The thing was pretty well hidden -- completely underwater half the time and at an angle to our line of travel.

It obliterated the speed impeller, slammed into the keel and drove down under it, then bounced up in perfect time to smash the rudder, bending it so it's now jammed against the hull turned about 20 degrees to port.

We had to get towed in (all we could manage on our own was circles). The tow was $750, and the boat is done for the spring season at least.

No one got hurt, and I guess I should count myself lucky the log didn't take out the sail drive and sink the boat, but I'm feeling gutted.

Attached is a pic of the log. The WVYC mark boat is standing off about a boat-length away from its right-hand end, and it stretches pretty much all the way across the photo (its left-hand end is about a boat length from the photo frame). It's not easy to see (and no, it's not the obvious dark line, that's just a wave).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20170429_114530227.jpg (181.8 KB, 66 views)
Old 04-30-2017

Send a message via Skype™ to frfletch

That is truly a terrible story. The logs are truly the curse of BC sailing. When we race or just cruise around we see lots of them.....but only those that are visible. The must be at least as many that are just lingering under the surface and not at all decipherable from some wave action. But did you ever notice that luckily all logs disappear at night? I can remember doing the Round Sangster Race a few years ago with only three of us on board, and at 2:30 in the morning powering along under spinnaker under 20knts true doing steady 10.5, and pouring rain and sending Rachael Spinelli (all 90 lbs of her) onto the foredeck to jibe. The entire sea was white and I remember thinking how grateful I was that there are no logs at night. Phhhhhew! Lucky for that!

Hope no other damage was done and that we can see you back on the line before too long.
Old 04-30-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by frfletch View Post
The logs are truly the curse of BC sailing...
http://www.theepochtimes.com/n3/1526...DDQ9ro2zeDONTg
Old 05-10-2017

Mistake in Ha'a Koa's rating for race (missing comma so they were scored for heavy not medium). Results have been reposted. Apologies to Vic and the boys. Tenth to second is a big change!