border
Home      Register      Show Groups      Photos      Videos     

SailingX > Yacht Club > Dock talk

Notices

Dock talk General sailing chat

Old 05-24-2017

Default Late May carnage (a boat for every beach)

When I went to bed late on Tuesday (actually at 1:00 a.m. Wednesday) Kitsilano YC was showing a high gust of 48 knots WSW, with 32 knots steady.

So as might be guessed, it was pretty much carnage on the beaches today. On the last Thursday race we'd counted 30 boats anchored out. It looks like three of them moved into the creek for the windstorm and the other 27 attempted to ride it out.

Nine of them ended up on the beach, and one dragged anchor all the way to the Coast Guard base but managed to stay off the rocks (so an attrition rate of 30 percent). I counted 17 still anchored.

Of the ones that wrecked, as near as I can tell they all parted their anchor rodes: a wire rope in the case of the big ferro boat on Kits beach, a badly-eroded chain for the white sunset Beach boat, and regular rope rode (mostly three-strand) for the rest.

The pics, in order:
1) Full-keel ferro sloop "Tranquil" on Kits Beach. Appears intact, team of three guys trenching for refloat.
2) Newish cruiser "Halfmoon II" on the Kits Dog Beach. Appears mostly intact so far. ("Bomilia" in background.)
3) Apparent liveaboard "Bomilia" on the rocks at Kits Dog Beach. Holed, rudder destroyed, done for.
4) Nameless unidentified sloop on the Maritime Museum Harbour beach. Appears mostly intact, though how in got in there unscathed I have no idea.
5) Remains of a yellow-and-white painted boat on the Maritime Museum Harbour beach. I believe this may have been the Bayliner Bucaneer sailboat that was anchored out there? The colours are right, at any rate.
6) Columbia 26 on the rocks on the east side of the Maritime Museum Harbour. Completely destroyed, although there's enough deck and doghouse left to reveal the distinctive Columbia 26 profile.
7) and 7a) Coast Guard response unit at Vanier Park pumping diesel out of the Peterson 35 Senecio (Sp?), and then Senecio on the rocks at Vanier Park. Holed in the front (you can see rode spilling out of the hole at the bottom of the bow), full of water, owner was stripping off the winches when I was there. The guys in the lifejackets are coasties.
8) One very lucky Albergish-looking boat, dragged and now anchored in the middle of the traffic lanes just west of the bridge (in front of the Coast Guard station).
9) A generic-looking yellow-hulled Newportish Catalina-ish boat named "Meesha" on Sunset Beach. Seems to have mostly stayed off the rocks, and looks mostly intact.
10) and 10a) The only boat that had a chain rode, but the links were super eroded. The boat is an odd sidedeck-less design that I can't identify (like a really big Riviera Star). Using chain was a smart move, leaving it un-inspected for what was clearly many, many seasons was not so smart.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN9954.jpg (456.2 KB, 104 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN9959.jpg (426.9 KB, 95 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN9973.jpg (605.9 KB, 94 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN9975.jpg (535.0 KB, 85 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN9981.jpg (617.1 KB, 83 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN9984.jpg (594.7 KB, 87 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN9988.jpg (483.7 KB, 91 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN9999.jpg (605.8 KB, 106 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0003.jpg (614.5 KB, 86 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0007.jpg (552.2 KB, 91 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0011.jpg (406.5 KB, 95 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0017.jpg (599.7 KB, 99 views)

Last edited by Krikkitman; 05-25-2017 at 01:15 PM.
Old 05-24-2017

Thanks for continuing to document this.

It is tragic that people are unwilling or unable to take care of their vessels and let this be their end.
Ultraman II - Ross 930 #69307
Old 05-25-2017

There is another wedged under the RVYC Jericho walkway.
Old 05-25-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen C. View Post
There is another wedged under the RVYC Jericho walkway.
Here's a pic of that one, from RichS's FB page.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RVYC wreck RichS.jpg (117.1 KB, 103 views)
Old 06-07-2017

Default To the dump and recycling depot?

To the dump and recycling depot?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1613.jpg (594.3 KB, 119 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1614.jpg (602.1 KB, 113 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1615.jpg (551.5 KB, 100 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1610.jpg (643.4 KB, 92 views)
Old 10-02-2017

When leaving Mill Town Marina....stay in the centre of the channel. Or bring your own tugboat.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_9630.jpg (228.7 KB, 73 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_9632.jpg (379.4 KB, 67 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_9636.jpg (379.1 KB, 69 views)
Old 10-03-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karma View Post
When leaving Mill Town Marina....stay in the centre of the channel. Or bring your own tugboat.
Ah well, presumably he was Undaunted by the experience.
Old 10-17-2017

Seen on my lunch time run today;

Double chined red sailboat hard on the ground at the launch ramp next to the Coast Guard.

34ft-ish double spreader blue sailboat awash on the rocks on the point between dog beach and Kit's Beach.

And another boat that looks to have dragged anchor right into the middle of the channel off the maritime museum.

I hope everyone checked their dock lines last night.
Old 10-17-2017

That red boat was on the tidal grid at Burred Civic last week and then started to sink in False Creek on the weekend. Someone towed him to the boat rampant left him there. Theres a lot of damage to the hull that is new, as the bottom paint was just done on the grid. He must have sunk enough to settle onto the rocks near Cambie Bridge. There is spray foam jutting out of what looks like a popped through hull....his last ditch attempt to keep her afloat!
Old 10-18-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by henryr View Post
Double chined red sailboat hard on the ground at the launch ramp next to the Coast Guard.

34ft-ish double spreader blue sailboat awash on the rocks on the point between dog beach and Kit's Beach.
That blue boat must have been covered by the tide by the time I got there a couple hours later, because I couldn't see it at all. Unless by some miracle the owners pulled it free?

The red steel boat was still in plain sight though, looking pretty beat.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN2421.JPG (376.3 KB, 41 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN2422.JPG (333.8 KB, 41 views)