border
Home      Register      Show Groups      Photos      Videos     

SailingX > Racing > Racing

Notices

Racing Tales from the course

Old 08-21-2017

Something is wrong with the posted ORC results. The ones posted at the party Saturday were correct. The ones on line are not.

WRT the course, like many, our thought was to get out into the wind early, so our plan was Bell Buoy first. But the wind went way south right after the start, so we flopped onto Port to stay in pressure, and saw that we were pointing right at Passage. So we kept on going, hardened up around passage, tacked when we could lay the south end of the island, fetched to Bell Buoy, hoisted just before rounding, gybed at the buoy, and headed out to the middle for pressure. Gybed again to lay the line, gybed a third time just before the line, then headed up to fetch North Van. Gybed around that mark, hoisted the Code 0 for a fetch to Kits, hardened up at the mark, tacked once and were laying the finish, then tacked on the line. So we did the entire course with 4 tacks and 4 gybes. Basically sailing rhumbline the entire time.

I've never been a fan of the "x" course, but it has paid off in the past, and the conditions seemed right for it this year. Even though the distance sailed appears to be longer (longer rhumbline), I think the actual distance sailed is less (in the right conditions), given that we were on the rhumbline the entire race. (And we never saw a SOG less than our boat speed).

A great day on the water and at the party after. Thanks to TCYC for the fun times!
Old 08-23-2017

The results are still wrong, and now they are in VARC wrong (along with Straits which are still wrong)
Old 08-23-2017

Our reasoning was the same as Ultraman's... only issue was the carpet was being rolled up just ahead of us and we seemed to be fighting a dying breeze. Bint ahead of us appeared to have similar issues seeing we saw them standing pretty straight. Boat really hates light wind and slop.
Old 08-23-2017

We went with the PG - Passage - North - Kits beach route for reasons of wind over tide. We wanted the tough into the teeth of the current legs over with before the wind died. I think we made it around Point Grey before it got too sloppy - though having the depth sounder go blind on the first leg didn't help the nerves too much.

Rounded passage with the kite up and looked good to get out to the middle of the bay when things went pare shaped on us - messy take down as the breeze went way forward so we beat / fetched past Pt Atkinson. We then noticed we have crossed the jib halyards with the kite ones so couldn't hoist without going bare headed.......that led to 5 agonizing minutes at least of no headsail or kite up to sort out the mess

From that point on it was pretty much max VMG - VMC for the day - fetch the north shore mark after we went through the SF line - kite up to kits beach on a tight reach then run to the barge - rounded up and one tacked to the finish line.

Was really surprised how few boats took our route. Having Occams just ahead led us know where the marks were which helped a ton.......was the north shore mark always a dropped mark and not a fixed point?
Old 08-23-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by alymatt View Post
......was the north shore mark always a dropped mark and not a fixed point?
I may have some details mixed up, but I recall someone from TCYC saying they used to use QB, but it was pointed out they were not allowed to use it as a mark. So they plant an offset buoy to round instead. Something to that effect.

A few years ago it came loose and by the time the chase boat found it, it was drifting by Pt Atkinson.
Old 08-24-2017

Yes, it seems a bit goofy, the Harbour Authorities did not want the fleet rounding the Nav Aid, so now we have to cross the shipping channel twice.

Used to drop a mark off the Bell Buoy but that didn't happen this year.
Old 08-24-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wraith View Post
Yes, it seems a bit goofy, the Harbour Authorities did not want the fleet rounding the Nav Aid, so now we have to cross the shipping channel twice.

Used to drop a mark off the Bell Buoy but that didn't happen this year.
Only remember rounding a mark off the Pt Grey Bell Buoy once in my 5 years of racing it.
As to the dropped mark on North shore... I think it adds to the challenge by having the mark closer to shore - do wish that the Lat and Long of the mark was broadcast on the VHF prior to the start so you (or the first boat) could find it easier.
Old 08-24-2017

The mark used this year for North Shore was easier to find than in some previous years. Or maybe it was the conditions, but we didn't have a problem sighting it.
Old 08-24-2017

Some interesting (challenging) things have occurred due to the North mark.

Besides the time it drifted towards Pt Atkinson, I think the following year it was set up roughly inline with the start/finish line, which caused a lot of confusion for those rounding it as their final mark. Some boats crossed the line West to East while others crossed it East to West and wondered why they didn't get a horn. Quite a few understandably frustrated racers that day.
Old 08-27-2017

The lat and long of the North Shore mark were in the SIs!

I will correct the posted results.

Thanks!