border
Home      Register      Show Groups      Photos      Videos     

SailingX > Yacht Club > Dock talk

Notices

Dock talk General sailing chat

Old 08-01-2017

Default Kayak racks

I noticed a growing trend while out cruising this summer, with more and more sailboats (and increasingly smaller ones at that) carrying their kayaks outside the lifelines on bow racks.

I can understand the convenience of keeping your foredeck clear, but they sure look vulnerable up there to me.

I suppose if you always stay at dock/anchored when the wind is blowing over 15 knots then the racks might work okay, but I reckon the kayaks would take a righteous pounding if you tried beating up the strait to Desolation Sound in a 25-knot northwesterly. I'd wager you'd lose the racks, the kayaks, or both before you got there.

Anyone ever used these while beating to weather in choppy water?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20170723_202449141.jpg (353.9 KB, 43 views)
Old 08-03-2017

Default Beat to weather while cruising?

Cruisers don't beat. Just like mountain bikers don't ride uphill.
Old 3 Weeks Ago

Yeah have seen them used in all conditions. Obviously with extra bungees in an upwind heavy beat, but they are usually just high enough to not be a problem in a larger heavy keeled boat. It's as secure as on the deck really.
Old 2 Weeks Ago

Default kayaks

I have an inflatable double kayak that I keep inflated on the deck once I get to the gulf islands. Last week when I was at Thetis I was deflating the kayak in preparation for our Straight crossing. The guy in the sailboat next to me struck up a conversation and told me it is not a good idea to keep a kayak on the deck. He told me his friend had kayaks on racks outside the rails and did a Straight crossing and smashed one of the kayaks. I asked him for details and he did not really know but he thought the kayak got filled with water then got smashed by a wave. It still does not sound right because a kayak on its side will not hold that much water.