border
Home      Register      Show Groups      Photos      Videos     

SailingX > Racing > Racing

Notices

Racing Tales from the course

Old 3 Weeks Ago

Send a message via MSN to Hamelyn
Default just saying...

" Skipper’s Responsibility: The decision to start or continue a race is the sole and
exclusive responsibility of the skipper of a participating yacht. Responsibility for the
safety of a yacht and her crew is the inescapable responsibility of the owner and
skipper."

Just saying.....
Old 3 Weeks Ago

Default and just saying

Notice of Race:
10 Disclaimer of Liability
Competitor participate in the series entirely at their own risk.
See Rule 4,Decision to Race. The organizing authority will not accept any liability for material damage or personal injury or death sustained in conjunction with or prior to, during, or after the regatta.

All this being said... it was a pretty intense day and not for the faint of heart...in particular beginners....

R
Old 3 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamelyn View Post
" Skipper’s Responsibility: The decision to start or continue a race is the sole and
exclusive responsibility of the skipper of a participating yacht. Responsibility for the
safety of a yacht and her crew is the inescapable responsibility of the owner and
skipper."

Just saying.....
True dat Rick, you are absolutely correct, just more concerned about the newbs who might unknowingly be sent out to somewhere they will likely be well out of their comfort level. Agree sailing in heavy weather is a skill we all need more practice at, but at the same time we still had 20-25 on the bugle at Jericho which makes for pretty good sailing too.
Old 3 Weeks Ago

agree 100%

Just saying...
Old 3 Weeks Ago

I think the BB was a perfectly reasonable choice for the conditions of the day. The water was reasonably flat, the wind was actually quite steady in that I don't recall any significant gusts...only a reasonably predictable oscillation. Starboard tack on the return was against the wave set, but short hitches (and footing off a bit) minimized the pitching while giving enough clearance from the south shore. In all honesty, I was wet and cold at the end of the day, I screwed up a number of things during the race (but I think I'm still invited back), we were DFL in division, but I think I speak for everyone on board that we had great fun and wouldn't have wanted to be anywhere else (with the one possible exception of sitting in front of a fireplace with a glass of scotch at hand....)

Years ago, when I was organizing a race series at a local club, I took a lot of flak for running a round-the-can race in 30+ even though about half the fleet stayed at the dock. At the end of the day, I believe it is the responsibility of the organizing body to lay a course that creates a challenge for the participating fleet and for each crew to determine how they can best use the conditions of the day to improve their abilities. Some are going to say "hey...big wind=big sails" (they'll learn), some will pack 'er in early (they'll also learn). The key is that each crew has to determine their level of comfort based on their collective skill. One of those skills is to know when it's best to keep the boat at the dock!

End result -- a Polar Bear with WIND. It was an awesome day. Thanks to the RC for sitting out there until the bitter end!
Old 3 Weeks Ago

Everyone is a critic!!

I was really sad to be missing the race this week! It was windy and would have been a perfect, yet sporting, day for TC, or the new boat... if it only had an engine.. Grumble...

Either way, I fully support heavy wind days and longer courses. Shorter courses means the RC will either make the courses twice around, or run more races which translates directly to more maneuvers which significantly increases the risk of people making mistakes. It has been a mandate of the Polar Bear Series ever since we decided to really focus on getting rookies out to try to run longer courses with less maneuvers, recognizing that we have lots of rookie skippers, crew, and even the very odd single handed boat. (By very odd I'm of course referring to Manananananana)

With respect to the keyboard warriors of this site, many of whom I am quite fond, I have far more faith in the decision making process of Rory, who worked as a professional Race officer for years, than I do in a y'all who are flustered because you were a bit uncomfortable! Your input is really important, because VRC wants to run races that you guys want to participate in. But questioning the Judgement of our Race Committee is not really cool. Arm-Chair-Quarterbacking a professional sports league is totally fine as the coaches/referees/organizers will likely never hear you, and if they do hear you, they're being handsomely paid to put up with you. Arm-Chair-Quarterbacking events run by your friends is different! Especially since they're all volunteering and we'd like for them to keep doing so!

Any of our boats, with even a modicum of maintenance and preparation are capable of anything English Bay can throw at us. If your boat is breaking or falling over it's not the boat's fault and it's probably time to spend some time going over your rigging and systems!

This isn't to say I haven't broken stuff in heavy winds, because I have! But when I did it was totally my fault for ignoring stuff that I knew was going to break! The time I broke three halyards in one race comes to mind...

Moral of the story THANKS RACE COMMITTEE WE LOVE YOU!

Last edited by Day4Kid; 2 Weeks Ago at 09:15 AM.
Old 2 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Day4Kid View Post
Everyone is a critic!!

I was really sad to be missing the race this week! It was windy and would have been a perfect, yet sporting, day for TC, or the new boat... if it only had an engine.. Grumble...

Either way, I fully support heavy wind days and longer courses. Shorter courses means the RC will either make the courses twice around, or run more races which translates directly to more maneuvers which significantly increases the risk of people making mistakes. This has been a mandate of the Polar Bear Series ever since we decided to really focus on getting rookies out to try to run longer courses with less maneuvers, recognizing that we have lots of rookie skippers, crew, and even the very odd single handed boat. (By very odd I'm of course referring to Manananananana)

With respect to the keyboard warriors of this site, many of whom I am quite fond, I have far more faith in the decision making process of Rory, who worked as a professional Race officer for years, than I do in a y'all who are flustered because you were a bit uncomfortable! Your input is really important, because VRC wants to run races that you guys want to participate in. But questioning the Judgement of our Race Committee is not really cool. Especially since they're all volunteering and we'd like for them to keep doing so!

Any of our boats, with even a modicum of maintenance and preparation are capable of anything English Bay can throw at us. If your boat is breaking or falling over it's not the boat's fault and it's probably time to spend some time going over your rigging and systems!

This isn't to say I haven't broken stuff in heavy winds, because I have! But when I did it was totally my fault for ignoring stuff that I knew was going to break! The time I broke three halyards in one race comes to mind...

Moral of the story THANKS RACE COMMITTEE WE LOVE YOU!
^ this..
Old 2 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schnick View Post
^ this..
x2...