border
Home      Register      Show Groups      Photos      Videos     

SailingX > Racing > Racing

Notices

Racing Tales from the course

Old 1 Week Ago

Default 2018 race schedule changes

Speaking entirely unofficially here, it's too early yet for a 2018 race schedule, but the tentative dates are being penciled in and it sounds like there are some changes afoot for Vancouver area racing:

RVYC is replacing the traditional two-day Opener regatta with a single day point-to-point race scheduled around the same time (late April), and is replacing the traditional two-day October Closer/EB Championship regatta with a revamped Waves Keelboat Regatta in late June. It sounds like these changes are a done deal.

Meantime, TCYC is tentatively floating the idea of adding a second day of racing to the Scramble weekend (early to mid August), with the Saturday being the traditional Scramble and the Sunday being round-the-buoys racing. It all kind of depends on a bunch of factors coming together, so we'll see on this one.

Also, it sounds like WVYC will likely be returning the Howe Sound Regatta to a two-day regatta for PHRF and ORC boats after 2017's one-day experiment.

For the VARC Series, if the first two changes both go ahead, it does mean that the distinction between the "Regatta" series and the "Distance" series would be further blurred: The Waves and Howe Sound Regatta would stand as being the only true two-day round-the-buoys regatta weekends, with the Summer Regatta, Deep Cove and English Bay Scramble all being mixed Regatta/Distance weekends, and the former Opener becoming a distance race.

An option, in this case, would be to ditch the concept of "Regatta" and "Distance" series, and only award one set of performance prizes per division for best Overall performance in all the races (based on each boat's top six results, or whatever number is decided upon). An informal suggestion springing out of this was that with only one performance award (Overall) instead of three (Regatta, Distance and Overall) per division, we might consider instituting a sort of "Crash Pad Cup" award like TCYC has, with a prize handed out to the boat in each Division that attends the largest number of races, regardless of performance (basically a participation award, with performance only factoring in as a tie-breaker in case two or more boats have the same winning participation levels).

A second option would be to separate out the regatta days in the mixed weekends, and count those towards the Regatta Series results, with the distance portion of the weekends counting towards the Distance Series results.

A third option, if TCYC goes ahead with a round-the-buoys Sunday would be to simply swap the (now purely distance) RVYC April ex-Opener race into the Distance Series, and move the now Scramble Regatta weekend into the Regatta Series. So the Scramble would count as a regatta result in much the same way that VRC Summer and Deep Cove already do, even though they are actually mixed weekends also. This option has the advantage that it would keep the overall mix of Regatta/Distance races basically the same as before.

Personally I've always liked having separate awards for the distance and regatta series, because different boats do tend to be better suited to distance and round-the-buoys racing, and the two types of racing highlight somewhat different crew skill sets and competencies.

Anyhow, most of the folks on the VARC Committee keep an eye on the SailingX chatter, so I'm sure constructive feedback, ideas and thoughts would be welcomed (with an emphasis on constructive).

Last edited by Krikkitman; 1 Week Ago at 03:26 PM.
Old 1 Week Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krikkitman View Post
RVYC is replacing the traditional two-day Opener regatta with a single day point-to-point race scheduled around the same time (late April), and is replacing the traditional two-day October Closer/EB Championship regatta with a revamped Waves Keelboat Regatta in late June. It sounds like these changes are a done deal.
Any idea of what the RVanYC point-to-point race would be? Is this another shot at the old Silva Bay race?
Old 1 Week Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unimpressed Nick View Post
Any idea of what the RVanYC point-to-point race would be? Is this another shot at the old Silva Bay race?
Definitely not Silva Bay, no.

The impression I got was more of short-distance English Bay deal.
Old 6 Days Ago

Personally I would like to see VARC go back to what it was in the 70's and 80's, a single series of primarily coastal races. Back then the schedule would have been something like:

VARC Opener
Collingwood Channel race
White Islets
Ballenas Island Race (Friday night start)
Silva Bay (did not count towards season scoring, due to nature of the race)
Entrance Island Race (Friday night start)
Worlcombe Island Race
Fraser River Light Ship Race
VARC Closer

In the mid to late 80's the sailing world seemed to get tired of distance racing and started having all sorts of round-the-buoys races, this was when the various Race weeks started I think.

The VARC schedule changed with the times and White Islets, Ballenas and Entrance faded away.

Interestingly the pendulum seems to be swinging back to distance racing. If you look at the recent VARC years, it is one-day distance type races that get the biggest participation. Round Bowen, Halibut Bank and Fraser River Lightship seem to be the best attended events across the widest spectrum of boat types.

So I would like to see us have one series of primarily one day distance races.

The clubs seem to be moving that way, with the exception of the Scramble. I think adding a second day to the Scramble would be a mistake. It will ruin the whole vibe of that race being one anyone can come out and win by being creative. I know that we will not race in it if a second day is added.
Old 6 Days Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramble On View Post
Personally I would like to see VARC go back to what it was in the 70's and 80's...
In that "back in the day" schedule, how many races would you typically do in a season? And was it as crew or owner/skipper?

How about nowadays ... how many races (and which ones?) have you done the past couple of years? And was it as skipper or crew?
Old 6 Days Ago

I agree that Scramble as a two day event would be a mistake for sure. And would also say there are not enough decent distance races. Why we don't have Whyte or Anvil as a course but for some reason hang onto Lightship is beyond me.

Just my two cents. :-)
Old 6 Days Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krikkitman View Post
In that "back in the day" schedule, how many races would you typically do in a season? And was it as crew or owner/skipper?

How about nowadays ... how many races (and which ones?) have you done the past couple of years? And was it as skipper or crew?
FWIW, back before children initiated a 15 year break from racing, I'd typically go through 40 starts in a year as crew. Didn't go near the boat in July (except for Whidbey) or August, but all other event we could reasonably get the boat to, we entered. We weren't picky about distance or bouy courses.

In the past 3 years, I've considered bouy races to be tune up events because I personally prefer 6+hour races to 60 minute sprints. Actual local events I've consistently raced and put on my schedule a year in advance (as crew) include: Salt Spring/ Straits/ Swiftsure/ Fraser Lightship/ Scramble/ Patos Island/ Collingwood(or Halibut Bank).

Multi-day bouy races don't appeal to me (as crew) as going to/from the boat on both days is more of a pain that a race that spans the same time frame. As skipper, I'd feel the same way as it's easier to get crew to commit to one trip to the boat (even if it's overnight) than it is to commit to devoting "both days" of a weekend to racing.

Crawling back under my rock....
Old 6 Days Ago

I think the move to more distance races is great, good on the clubs for listening to what the sailors want.

I also like the idea of having a best overall performance award based on each boats top 6 results (or whatever number of races) for each div instead of separating distance races and regattas into two series. I think simpler is better when it comes to these sorts of things. Its easier for everyone to understand, promotes participation in all events, and wont require any fuckery to score.

But the real question is whats it going to take to revive Div 7? What would make more boats come out and race?
Old 6 Days Ago

The question that needs to be answered is: have races gotten shorter because of smaller fleet sizes - or did fleet sizes get smaller because of shorter races?

If the answer is the former, then going to longer races will not help with turnouts, and in fact may exacerbate the situation. If it is the latter, then this may be a change for the good.
Old 6 Days Ago

The worldwide trend is certainly that distance racing is on the upswing. I think people are looking more for adventure than for technical mastery of anything as complex as sailing. Boats are getting simpler too.

Buoy racing is great fun but quite hard and no place for a boat full of furniture.