border
Home      Register      Show Groups      Photos      Videos     

SailingX > Yacht Club > Dock talk

Notices

Dock talk General sailing chat

Old 3 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karma View Post
So once the owners "can't be found" (or don't want to be found) and it's the parks board's responsibility to dispose of the wrecked boat, who owns it? I guess I mean...who owns the hardware on the boat? Whats stopping someone from doing a little midnight raid on these things?

asking for a friend....
That's pretty much like saying "This dude wrecked his car in front of our house, and they took him away in an ambulance. The car's a write-off for sure, so it'll be going to the insurance company. So what's to stop me from taking the wheels and the Recaro seats and the rear wing? They'd look great on my car."

Often the actual owners will turn up and remove anything of value, selling it to try to mitigate their losses. Bit rough on them if you beat them to the punch.

Given how quick you are to berate anyone who re-uses photographic images sourced from the Internet, I'm quite surprised you don't immediately see the problem with this?

Although I do agree that it's a bit distressing, from a global sustainability point of view, to image the wrecks going to the landfill with still-good blocks, clutches, spinnaker poles and the like attached.

There ought to be an easier process: If the city is salvaging anything of worth before crushing, or selling the boats to a boat salvage yard, they could let the boating public know (to put our minds at ease) and let us know when and where we could bid on the parts.

On the other hand, if the city doesn't see the value in salvaging parts (and given the labour intensity involved, I doubt they do), then perhaps they could sell $20 salvage permits after a set period (a week? two?) and for $20 you get a couple days to legally remove anything of value before the city hauls the wreck away.

In the meantime, without a legal process, would you or your friend really want the bad ju-ju involved with having illicitly-gotten parts from a distressed wreck installed on your boat?

I know I wouldn't.
Old 3 Weeks Ago

Nimue has a few blocks that were found attached to pieces of a wood t bird that worked it's way completely under the Jericho breakwater. It was mostly matchsticks by the time I wandered down there. Keel is still in the sand I think.
Old 3 Weeks Ago

Quote:
So once the owners "can't be found" (or don't want to be found) and it's the parks board's responsibility to dispose of the wrecked boat, who owns it? I guess I mean...who owns the hardware on the boat? Whats stopping someone from doing a little midnight raid on these things?

asking for a friend....
The answer you seek is in your name...
Old 3 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Whats stopping someone from doing a little midnight raid on these things?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Day4Kid View Post
The answer you seek is in your name...
Case in point: I made a quick stop while running Christmas errands to grab a couple of pics for when the CBC story&pics disappear from the web.

The owner of the US 25 was there, alone, trenching his keel, hoping that with gravity and a little force he could straighten the keel out and then make repairs to the internal structure (it's bent off-centre to starboard by about 15-20 degrees, with the starboard side of the hull all oil-canned inward at the keel root).

He was pretty broken up about what had happened. "I love the boat," he noted. He said he had it on an all-chain anchor rode but a link parted.

I genuinely felt for him. Let's face it, between ridiculous rents and steep moorage bills, it's tough to afford a boat in Vancouver. And while I don't really approve, generally speaking, of having our shoreline cluttered with anchored boats, I think we need more (and more affordable) small boat moorage for the average Joe. And at an individual level of someone like this guy, just wanting a nice summer toy without spending an arm and a leg to moor it, I hold no animosity whatsoever.

He has a Herculean task ahead of him, with slim chance of success, but I wish him the best of luck. I certainly hope that, on top of all his woe, he doesn't have some fellow boater come along and start ripping gear off his boat.

Oh ... and the San Juan 24. It started out in tougher shape that the US 25, but despite ending up on the concrete breakwater it has taken less damage. The bulk of the weight is reasonably well distributed between the keel and the flat of the bottom, which is resting on flat smooth concrete. Where the concrete has a step the boat isn't resting much weight, and someone got a couple of fenders in there to cushion things. The rudder appears to be under some load, but still straight. If there was a high enough tide, with no waves, I reckon it would float off intact.

Which is more than can currently be said for the US 25.

It looks like the San Juan had an underspec rope anchor rode with garden hose for chafe protection (but it's a bit hard to tell because there were also various other lines deployed to hold it in place once it grounded).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN3738.jpg (590.1 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN3740.jpg (611.5 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN3741.jpg (590.3 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN3743.jpg (564.8 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN3747.jpg (588.7 KB, 31 views)
Old 2 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krikkitman View Post
That's pretty much like saying "This dude wrecked his car in front of our house, and they took him away in an ambulance. The car's a write-off for sure, so it'll be going to the insurance company. So what's to stop me from taking the wheels and the Recaro seats and the rear wing? They'd look great on my car."

Often the actual owners will turn up and remove anything of value, selling it to try to mitigate their losses. Bit rough on them if you beat them to the punch.

Given how quick you are to berate anyone who re-uses photographic images sourced from the Internet, I'm quite surprised you don't immediately see the problem with this?
Sigh.
So first off, I understand the bad "Karma" this would instil on someone who raided one of these boats. However, when a car is wrecked in front of your house it often ends up in a wreckers for parts before it gets tossed in a landfill. Its hardly the same case with boats. There are thousands of dollars being thrown out that could be recouped by the city to offset the disposal costs. There are tons of waste going into our landfills that could be re-used, sold, donated. This is where my question stems from.

Secondly. If I have ever come across as "berating" someone for breaking the law. I apologize. There are many people in this group who make their living from creating copyright protected media. You, sir, are one of them. I hope someone out there speaks up and protects your rights when they are one day infringed upon without your knowing.
Old 2 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Sigh.
... If I have ever come across as "berating" someone for breaking the law. I apologize. There are many people in this group who make their living from creating copyright protected media. You, sir, are one of them. I hope someone out there speaks up and protects your rights when they are one day infringed upon without your knowing.
Sorry, "berate" was a poor choice of words on my part. Read that as "rebuke" or "admonish" -- there was not intended to be a negative value attached to it. My point was simply that you are quick to see the fault when it applies to copyright material, so I was surprised you didn't equally quickly see the fault when it comes to the boat parts. I did acknowledge the discomfort one feels given that there doesn't seem to be any process to keep serviceable (and expensive!) parts out of the landfill.

Carry on!
Old 6 Days Ago

Default inventory of abandoned, derelict boats in the Islands Trust area

"Islands Trust is creating an inventory of abandoned, derelict boats in the Islands Trust area for agencies applying for funding from Transport Canada’s new Abandoned Boats Program. Additional details on the Abandoned Boats Program are available in this presentation. As a land use planning agency, Islands Trust will not be removing boats. Removal of derelict vessels falls under multiple jurisdictions and requires coordinated efforts. That is why we are seeking your support to participate in a multi-agency response to derelict vessels in our region.

Islands Trust wants to hear from you!

Please fill out this form electronically." http://www.islandstrust.bc.ca/trust-...sels-advocacy/
Old 6 Days Ago

For anyone looking for a new business opportunity:

Transport Canada is now accepting applications for funding for the 2018-19 fiscal year for assessment and removal of abandoned boats.

Deadline to apply is March 15th.

https://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/abandoned-boats-program.html
Old 5 Days Ago

Default False Creek boat-dwellers ready for legal battle against permit system

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/britis...stem-1.4478519
Old 4 Days Ago

Default Man fined $12,000 after boat vanishes

http://www.vancourier.com/man-fined-...hes-1.23142885