border
Home      Register      Show Groups      Photos      Videos     

SailingX > Racing > Racing

Notices

Racing Tales from the course

Old 12-08-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krikkitman View Post
In that "back in the day" schedule, how many races would you typically do in a season? And was it as crew or owner/skipper?

How about nowadays ... how many races (and which ones?) have you done the past couple of years? And was it as skipper or crew?
In the old days we would do the entire schedule, except a couple of years we did not do Silva Bay. The boat was a family boat, sometimes with parental supervision sometimes without, so I was kind of crew, kind of an owner.

With my own boat, last year we did the distance series after many years of doing mostly two-day VARC regatta races. My family situation limits me to about 7 weekends a year on the water and I had more fun allocating that time to one-day distance races rather than two-day regattas.
Old 12-08-2017

My 2 bits.........

The regatta's are run to such a level of perfection ( must have a certain amount of wind, from a single direction for a certain duration of time and so on ) that you wait and wait and wait and sometimes go home without ever getting a start off ( crewed at the closer this year and this was the case - very frustrating ).

The distance races seem to pretty much start as long as there is the slightest amount of breeze to get boats over the line and I don't remember not finishing a race this year.

I concur that the adventure side of distance races is enticing for many and help attract the overall number of participants.

Races like RTC, Round Saltspring are still won by the best prepared boats with the most amount of experience - but the additional skills of weather - tide patterns - topography along with pure boat speed wins these races.
Old 12-08-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karma View Post
I agree that Scramble as a two day event would be a mistake for sure. And would also say there are not enough decent distance races. Why we don't have Whyte or Anvil as a course but for some reason hang onto Lightship is beyond me.

Just my two cents. :-)
I totally agree! The answer to too many events and reduced participation is not to have more events...
Old 12-08-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Day4Kid View Post
I totally agree! The answer to too many events and reduced participation is not to have more events...
There's more to the whole round-the-buoys day thing than TCYC is ready to announce yet. Suffice to say it really is something a little different.

But given the feedback so far, it sounds like holding it on a separate weekend might also be a good option.

The thinking at TCYC was that all the resources are already mustered, so you get some synergies and economies of scale if you do both days at once -- and with the Opener spiked it would also give VARC racers a replacement regatta day.

Carry on.

Last edited by Krikkitman; 12-09-2017 at 12:08 AM.
Old 12-09-2017

There's more to the whole VARC Opener and Waves Regatta thing than RVYC is ready to announce yet. Suffice to say it will be announced by the organizers in due time...
Ultraman II - Ross 930 #69307
Old 12-11-2017

My initial reaction to less Regatta style races is disappointment for a couple of reasons (despite being in the furniture mover category)
- the time pressure of these races definitely improves the skills and teamwork of the crew making us more competitive in the distance series
- 2017 saw us doing more regatta than distance races due to lack of crew availability/commitment. I'm worried more distance races will cause more issues in this regard.

That said, it will be interesting to see what develops and I truly hope that it helps with participation/interest increasing both boats and crew...
Old 12-11-2017

I like that over the years we have been willing to experiment with different series combinations in order to try and drive participation up.

Division participation seem to rise and fall like tides. Like the tides, we may not be able to influence them regardless of what we do (but we shouldn't stop trying to make racing more popular).

Regardless of what I have tried with SOAR over the years, participation is almost the same every year (28-30 boats), and it is more weather dependent than anything. Anecdotally speaking, I think with most organized sports, tournaments etc. are seeing lower team numbers even though overall participation in the non-competitive side of the sport may be up in some cases. Either its a time thing, or a millennial anti-competitive movement, I don't know.

While I prefer and get better results at distance races, nothing gets my heart pumping like a full day of round the cans racing. I really hope you can re-start a series within our own club to get the fix, but it looks like we have a few more lean years ahead.
Old 5 Days Ago

From Wraith, posted in the chatbox (with my own distance/regatta notes in parentheses):

2018 VARC Schedule:
Straits (Distance) March 30 - April 1st
Opener (Sort-of regatta) April 14
Halibut (Distance) Bank April 28
Round Bowen (Distance) June 9
Waves Keel Boat (2 x Regatta) June 23 & 24
Summer Regatta (1 Regatta day, 1 Distance) July 14 & 15
SOAR (Distance) Date not confirmed
Scramble (1 Distance day, 1 Regatta) August 11 & 12
Deep Cove (1 Regatta day, 1 Distance) Sept 8 & 9
Howe Sound (1 Regatta day, 1 ???) Sept 15 & 16
FLS (Distance) Sept30