border
Home      Register      Show Groups      Photos      Videos     

SailingX > Cruising > Cruising

Notices

Cruising Tales of the sea

Old 08-08-2011

Default Silva Bay Shout Out

First - Full disclosure - my family has owned and operated Page's Resort and Marina on Silva Bay for the past 24 years. So my opinions of places to stay (moor, cottage, or camp), and other services may be biased.

But this Shout Out is to the new people running the shop at Silva Bay Shipyard (DBA Silva Bay Marina Repairs).

In the years I've been associated with the Bay, we have seen a number of different groups come and go at Silva Bay Marina, with varying levels of "success", and varying levels of attention paid tot he shipyard facility.

This past weekend I ran into engine troubles when heading back to the mainland, and had to sail back to Silva Bay to look for help.

Within an hour of calling, one of the guys from the shipyard was over at our dock, taking a look. While he was a little on the talkative side, he worked quite hard to figure out the source of the problem, which was not obvious, uncover a couple of other lingering issues, and finally chart a path to solving the problem. (It wasn't until he had been working for a couple of hours that I figured out that he lives on one of the cursed permanently moored boats in the bay, but that's another story). We were not able to solve everything Friday, so Saturday, the owner of the company, Don Mayrand, came over and got to work. He was excellent, and in another couple of hours, had me on my way (along with a pretty upset crew).

To top it off, as I was leaving, he asked me for feedback on the first mechanic.

So, I just thought people should know that, if needed, there is a competent, reliable, repair service up and operating in Silva Bay once again, who seem to have a good combination of mechanics smarts, people skills, and business smarts. I hope they can stay around.

Oh, and since I know everyone is wondering, the source of my woes was about 1 cm of algae growth surrounding every surface of my fuel system. Note to self, when buying a used boat with a full load of fuel, find out how old that fuel is! Note #2, when buying a used boat, open the fuel tank inspection port and take a look inside!

Question - who in Vancouver is the best person to go to for fuel tank cleaning?
Old 08-08-2011

Silva bay is a great spot, and it is good to know there is also emergency mechanical service available there.

As for tank cleaning, i had a similar problem, only much worse since the previous owner used old cooking oil "bio diesel"! I ended up draining my fuel tank and pulling it out myself. You can then take it to any radiator shop to get it cleaned with caustic soda. Mine took several cleanings to get the gunk out but it didn't cost much. The really expensive part was the injector pump rebuild that was also necessary. For that I used Jims Injector Service .They are very professional. They even bench test the pump for 24hrs before they let it out the door.
Old 08-08-2011

Look up "fuel polishing" they will come to your boat and take care of it at the dock. It was a few hundred dollars last time I had it done.
Old 08-08-2011

I thought fuel polishing was a way to salvage the old fuel, do they clean sediment and gunk out of the fuel tank too?
Old 08-08-2011

Basically they pump your fuel through a loop through filters and your tank, they try to pressure wash the inside of your tank (with diesel) but the baffles prevent getting everything. I think it is all you can do short of pulling the tank.
Old 09-01-2011

As a follow up to the above story.

I did end up pulling the tank (thankfully C&C made the locker opening large enough to get the tank out).

It took a couple of tries to find someone who could clean it (fuel polishing services are easier to find). I used Canadian Fuel Oil Polishing. Picked up the tank last night, and it is spotless inside. Took it down to the boat, and 2 hours later, had a functioning system (except for the gauge that I left at home).

Now for the process of bleeding the lines.
Old 12-30-2013

Default Silva Bay - Pub

Was at Silva Bay on the weekend and Saturday the 28th was the last day for the pub and restaurant. Seems to have closed due to insufficient business.
Looks like the private liquor store might be closing too.
Old 12-30-2013

The pub, restaurant, and the liquor store at Silva Bay Marina are all closing this week.

Not sure what the future holds for Silva Bay Marina, but there are two other fully functioning marinas in the bay! I was there all last week, and the prawns and crabs were excellent!
Old 12-30-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven View Post
Was at Silva Bay on the weekend and Saturday the 28th was the last day for the pub and restaurant. Seems to have closed due to insufficient business.
Looks like the private liquor store might be closing too.
Permanently or just for the winter? That would be a big loss (especially the liquor store!!)
Old 12-31-2013

Seemed as though they were closing permanently.
Perhaps another entrepreneur will give it a go, I think the former owners had been there for 10 or 12 years.