border
Home      Register      Show Groups      Photos      Videos     

SailingX > Yacht Club > Members / Teams

Notices

Members / Teams Introduction thread

Old 04-03-2011
Administrator

Default Raven

I am hoping that Ian will jump in to fill in the some of the details on his new ride, but in the mean time I thought i would share some of the photos that were taken of this great looking boat at the opener.

Enjoy.

Old 04-03-2011
Administrator

Some more ....

Old 04-03-2011

Thanks Dave

So the 1st question is why the CM1200. I love the 1D35 but was looking for something with a few more comforts for the long distance racing. The Farr 40 was beyond my reach. Raven came on the market last fall, same owner for the last 15 years. Dry sailed for much of that time. The US dollar was low, so despite not being in the market I jumped in.

Although the original intention was for non overlapping headsails, in the end the designer went for overlapping and we carry 155% on a fractional rig. The spinaker halyards exit about 1/2 way between the forestay & masthead and she carrys a long spinaker pole 15'. The boom is 19'. The hull is kevlar/epoxy & mast & boom are carbon and she weighs about 10300lbs with 5400lbs in the keel.

We are training for the Van Isle 360, the Opener was our 1st race and we found that our (my) timing was out, a couple of times we found ourselves too far away from the start line, and of course the leeward mark arrived way too soon for our douses. From our perspective, on the windier Sunday we seemed to be holding upwind with the Farr 40s until we retired due to a damaged headsail.

Round Patos was a long distance race and after rounding Beaumont Shoals we tried working the Canadian side for current relief, the pressure filled in on the San Juan side and we were left behind. However we found the boat very stable and surprisingly dry.

We have been sailing the boat with 10, and everyone is busy. We are looking forward to the Spring Regatta and appreciate any feedback. It is all good as we work to get the team up to the same speed potential as the boat.

Ian
Old 04-13-2011

Default Go Pro

We have been trying to use the Go Pro HD Helmet cam with limited success over the winter. Videos were ending and files not closing properly and generally unable to play them. Unrecognizable format. Replaced the SD RAM card with another (the original was an expensive one) and it seems to be working well now.

Used the bicycle handle bar mount on the push pit.
Old 06-27-2011

Cool Who Wants One?

Jack Rabbit, a well known CM1200 in Tacoma is for sale.
JR won 2nd (to Shrek) in P0 at Whidbey last year.

http://www.sailinganarchy.com/classified.htm
Old 06-27-2011

Would be very cool to have someone to play with...

That 7 year old 3DL delivery main won't last much longer though! Have you seen what happens with older 3DL sails? They look great until they go Poof...
Ultraman II - Ross 930 #69307

Tags
raven