border
Home      Register      Show Groups      Photos      Videos     

SailingX > Yacht Club > Members / Teams

Notices

Members / Teams Introduction thread

Old 07-19-2012
west is the best

Default New Member - i14 owner

greetings. looks like a solid forum you have here. i have sailed most of my life mostly dinghies and Tasars, windsurfed quite a bit and done some longer trips on a 40' and 71' ketch.

i just bought a i14 from a guy and it is stored at jericho. i am pretty confident that i will be able to get it ripping except for one small issue - the rigging is a bit baffling to me. is there anyone on this forum who could be bribed with some beers and nachos on the deck in exchange for an i14 rigging lesson? or anyone who knows someone...

thanks, looking forward to more discussion here.

mike
Old 07-19-2012
Administrator

Can you post some photos.... Maybe we can help from our desk tops
Old 07-19-2012
west is the best

i actually just found a rigging manual online in a PDF ( didnt seem to turn up the last time i looked )

http://www.wakayama-sailing.org/420/...ng_Guide_1.pdf

so before i bug you folks, i will take this down there and see how far i can get on my own.

hopefully the next pictures i post will be just GoPro shots of the boat rigged up ripping around the harbour !
Old 07-19-2012

Can I still show up for beer and nachos??
Old 07-19-2012
west is the best

haha ! for sure, but now they will be in PDF format. ; )
Old 07-19-2012
Supporting Member

Did you buy the one on Craigslist? If so that is a Bieker 2 hull with a custom 49er type deck. Built locally when Blue Water Spars had the tooling.

If I remember right, it was set up with a Blue Water carbon rig. So it will have adjustable forestay, shrouds and intermediate shrouds. A whole lot of tangles until you figure it out. It has been through two owners and a sailing club since then though, so it may have had any number of changes.

It is a penultimate boat so the numbers and measurements used by the current I 14's will not work. But they will give you a baseline to work from though.

Check all the standing rigging for wear at the splices and any turning blocks/purchase systems. Last I remember it was spectra/dyneema and will be past its "sell by" date.

PM me if you have any other questions...
Old 07-19-2012
west is the best

thanks manana

my friend tipped me off to it so i'm not sure if it was on CL or not. this may be the boat you are describing though, i recall seeing the 'Blue Water Name' on it. i will be sure to check the rigging. a couple of images........

Old 07-19-2012

nice Cinder blocks if only they could get out on the wire you wouldn't need a crew.
Old 07-19-2012
west is the best

totally. and what they lack in brains, they can make up for in grit.

Tags
i14, international 14