Home      Register      Show Groups      Photos      Videos     

SailingX > Yacht Club > Members / Teams

Notices

Members / Teams Introduction thread

Old 04-06-2013

Send a message via Yahoo to Anastar
Smile Hello, Cowichan Valley Newbie here

Hello Ladies and Gentleman,

Just acquired a darling Riviera Star 24 as an abandoned vessel, know the boat's history well so am prepared to spend some time fixing her and I've had 2 whole sailing lessons on her before the current owner took off and hid in the Kootenays.

I love this little boat, she used to belong to the current owner's Mum (now deceased) and she loved her too.

I've read the Star thread, no offense folks but I'm sorry a lot of you don't like them :-( mine flies like an eagle. May I offer the opinion that they are a tricky boat to sail.

Mine's been upgraded to a Yamaha 9.9 and moves along well under power and is equally fast under sail.

Due to age and not having been maintained since her lady owner was diagnosed with brain cancer, she needs some work, but I'm willing to do it, for love of the boat and in honour of my friend's memory.

I've got myself another sailing teacher and will be getting all the necessary paperwork for myself and the boat done in the next few weeks, but the boat may be out of the water a while as she has through hull fitting leaks and needs her keel fixed up. But for sitting in the water for 6 years she's in pretty good shape.

Besides sailing, I love horses, crafts, reading, and writing fiction. The sea is in my blood, my Grandpa came to Canada on a sealing vessel in 1881 and my Great-Grandfather ran a merchant vessel out of Montenegro. (My parents were older than most, I'm nearly 50 now) When Grandpa got to Canada he foremanned the building of the Estevan Point Lighthouse and My Dad was born there in 1908, please see the website for Estevan at www.fogwhistle.ca/bclights/estevan

Cheers All, Anastar (Lois)

Last edited by Anastar; 04-06-2013 at 11:44 PM. Reason: Add information
Old 04-07-2013

Congrats and welcome to sailingx!

It's great to hear that you're so passionate about your boat and that you have such a history with her. We all love our boats for reasons that aren't necessarily explicable nor based in logic (especially Schnick...). I hope you'll take lots of pics and post about the repairs you need to do to bring her back in to sailing shape.
Old 04-07-2013

Congratulations, you may want to touch base or get involved with Cow Bay Sailing Association.
Old 04-07-2013

Smile Hello, Cowichan Valley Newbie here

Thank you for the welcomes.

Yes I am passionate about my boat, somewhat to the point past logic because I cared so much for the lady who owned her, she passed away and left her to an irresponsible son, who abandoned the boat.

So I took over the care and keeping responsibilities, for love of the boat and her late owner.

In time, when I sail better I'll get in touch with Cow Bay Sailing. Right now I've got a pitted keel to deal with, some gelcoat to replace and all those DARN through hull topside leaks to fix, seals to buy, epoxy and Bottom-Kote to buy and apply, will have to borrow a pressure washer to get her really clean and am debating using a sandblaster to clean the keel or an orbital sander.

I'm open to suggestions and all advice as I know about caring for the topside, but the underside is a mystery to me.

I did post some pictures last night, the album is called "My Angel" I'll be adding more pictures today.

Take Care Everyone
Anastar
(Lois)

Last edited by Anastar; 04-24-2013 at 01:36 PM.
Old 04-07-2013

If you want to do some sailing while repairs are underway send me a pm , We are always looking for crew for the race boats at MBYC . Welcome to the sailing scene and Cow Bay and the organizers are legendary.
Old 04-08-2013

Exclamation Hello, Cowichan Valley Newbie here

Thank you, I might just do that. If you are a member of MBYC you may recognize my boat--look at the Album "My Angel" Actually, I'm surprised you don't recognize my user name as that is the name of my boat!

Her late owner was a member of MBYC and left the boat to her irresponsible #1 son, who didn't pay the moorage at Cowichan Bay-- abandoned the boat essentially-- PLEASE don't tell ANYONE where the boat is now as I still have to sort out the paperwork, as I claimed her from the marina after paying over $1800.00 moorage myself and paying for small repairs, towing, and hauling.

I loved her late owner and I love the boat, after 6 years of minimal use I've got a lot of work to do to her AND I want to keep her, I have ALL my receipts for what I've done and I had the marina owner's permission to take her as the irresponsible fool who left her is not returning my phone calls or answering my letters.

Also, I need to take the "Safe Boaters" courses and if you have information on those please send me a PM or email.

Thanks
Anastar (Lois)
Old 04-08-2013

Hmmmm. If you are "hiding" the boat for whatever reason, pehaps it is not a good idea to post too much about it on an open sailing forum for all to read! Just a thought!

Anyway, welcome to the forum! It is nice to see you are passionate about fixing your boat up and getting out sailing. You should definitely take Fiasco up on his offer. You will learn more about sailing by getting out racing than many classes will teach you, and the best part is, it's free!
Old 04-08-2013

Exclamation Hello, Cowichan Valley Newbie here

I'm not hiding it per se, plans were made last fall to haul her out but the money wasn't available at that time. If I could have reached the bird brain who abandoned it by phone or mail in the last month, he'd know all about it. (he's the one who is hiding!)

Eventually he'll get in touch with me and I'll tell him about it. The marina had also suggested he put her in dry storage, but he would have had to pay for that too.

I am going to be quiet about it from here on out, I only wish to learn how to fix her, and because of the costs I've incurred, claiming her was my only option.

Don't worry. I will say no more except to ask for advice on fixing a pitted cast iron keel, aging gelcoat, and through hull leaks

No one other than MBYC members will recognize the boat and as I understand it, they knew the situation with the bird brain who abandoned her.

I've sent Fiasco a pm, I do need to learn to sail, but the repairs to the boat come first, bird-brain would have sailed her until she sank.

Since this time last year, I've been the one who paid the moorage, dealt with repairs and fought tooth and nail with the marina to keep her from being sent to auction. They finally gave in when they added up how much moorage I'd given them.

I hope you understand why I've done this--for the love of the lady who loved the boat and was my friend who I miss.

Lois

Last edited by Anastar; 04-08-2013 at 02:58 PM. Reason: add sentence
Old 04-25-2013

Good new folks, I've got someone coming to look at the keel on my baby tomorrow. He says it doesn't sound bad. (Thumb sized pits in a few places)

Her paint (gelcoat) is worse than I thought though and I've got matting sowing through where the paint is completely gone, be glad for warmer weather so I can fix that.

Anastar (Lois)