border
Home      Register      Show Groups      Photos      Videos     

SailingX > Yacht Club > The patio

Notices

The patio Off topic chat

Old 07-13-2014

Default Rudder Repairs

I hit a deadhead today and believe I bent my rudder post. Peering through the murky water, the rudder looks in tact. Can anyone recommend an expert in the field?
Thanks
Old 07-13-2014

You should notify your insurer of the incident in case it becomes a claim. Probably need to pull the boat out of the water with a surveyor present to assess the damage.
Old 07-14-2014

Skinny is the man for the job. He is at thunderbird and on this board. PM me if you need a phone number.
Old 07-14-2014

Default rudder pics

I had a closer look at the rudder today and it appears that the rudder is rubbing on the hull. Once the rudder is turned past the hull it feels normal.
A simple fix might be to shave a 1/4 inch off the top of the rudder to let it clear the hull.
I've initiated a claim with my insurer so we'll see what their response is before I get busy.
Hate to loose these halcyon days waiting for insurance and professionals to get their act together.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg contact area.jpg (253.4 KB, 38 views)
File Type: jpg rudder contact area.jpg (277.5 KB, 36 views)
Old 07-15-2014
Supporting Member

Actually Skinny is/was employed at Yachtworks at Mosquito Creek Marina.

Inform your insurance provider first.

Your rudder shaft is bent. Taking a few MM off the upper edge will not fix the problem. Get professional help. This is a pretty simple fix with a large hydraulic press.

I'd be willing to bet there is now a soft spot in your f-glass laminate on your rudder where the dead-head hit. Possibly allowing water into the support structure. The stainless weld, shaft to web, will not like being wet with salt water....
Old 07-17-2014

Thanks for all the advise everyone.
I did get my insurer involved but did not need to complete a claim.
Managed to straighten the rudder post by setting the keel on a block while the boat was on the lift and attaching a chain block from it to the rudder with nylon straps. Once pressure was applied we smacked the back of the rudder with a large hammer and voila, all better.
There was no other damage except the paint and gel coat was rubbed off of a 1" x 3" spot on the hull where the rudder was binding.
Old 07-17-2014

One caveat and maybe Manana should chime in since I'm only basing this on the material science courses I've taken in the distant past.

From the sounds of it, the rudder shaft was bent. If so, the shaft has undergone plastic deformation and is now strain hardened (or work hardened if you prefer).

What that means is that the "unbent" portion is now more brittle. Having said that, I suspect it should be fine - just something to be aware of.