border
Home      Register      Show Groups      Photos      Videos     

SailingX > Yacht Club > Crew Pool

Notices

Old 02-16-2015

A major overide on our primary winch quickly spit us out the back of a tight Div 3 fleet but we still had an awesome time in howe sound. flat water - solid breeze - sunshine ....... just doesn't get a whole lot better ........... we even stayed out for an extra hour or so and did a little practice with everyone switching roles and trying something new. Power reached back to the club as we finished off the last few beers in the cooler and promptly de-briefed in the patio ......... actually earned my first sun burn of the year
Old 10-23-2015

Default Anyone looking for crew for Snowflake?

Hi,

Any skippers out there looking for crew for the snowflake series? Please let me know. Here is a short bio in case you're interested.

Thanks,

Steve

Sailing Experience: 6 years keelboat sailing (on own boat), 3 years Racing (VRC Polar Bear series + Southern Straits on other peoples boats. mostly sail trim and foredeck), 3 years Dinghy Sailing; Certificates: White Sail III, Basic Cruising, Coastal Nav, Celestial Nav, Marine Weather, VHF, First Aid. And I'm doing the Safety at Sea course this November.
Old 10-29-2015

Default Seeking ride for Snowflake

Hi! Posting this for my friend Shareen. She's got some racing under her belt.

Looking for a crew position for Snow Flake 2015. I have all my own sailing safety equipment. I have raced on Santana 30/30s, Santa Cruz 70, or Abbot 36. My completed races are: The full VanIsle 2015, TCYC Summer 2014 and 2015, Polar Bear 2015, Southern Straits, Collingwood, Swift Sure Whidbey Island Race Week, Deep Cove Regatta. Interchangable with most crew positions, and I learn quickly. I have Safety At Sea, OffShore FIrst Aid and ROC-M/DSC License. I'm a happy crew member that plays great on a team. References available as well. I can carpool if necessary. email at shareen.chin@gmail.com or 6047286219
Old 10-29-2015

Steve in this small town it helps a lot if you can name some of the actual boats you sailed on - people know a bit about the 'culture' of each boat and can better judge if you will be a good fit? On my boat we worry more about chemistry than skills when recruiting.
Old 10-29-2015

Hi all. Godzilla’s unsuccessful mid-course attempt at rig modification leaves me scrambling for a boat looking for crew!
Experience: jib trim 3 years. Also, pit, foredeck and mast in the last 5 years. Recently sailed both 2015 CYCA Land Rover Winter and Spring Series in Sydney, Australia, mostly as trimmer aboard an X-35, but also did a few races on an Archambault A40 RC, a one-off Dibley 54’, and a few Beneteaus (Beneteaux?). Before that, I’d sailed one and a half Snowflakes on the Bene First 36.7 Clara Allegro ; one Polar Bear aboard Godzilla, a J/29: one Southern Straits Long Course (1st in Div, 2nd Overall), one Swiftsure Lightship (3rd in Div), and recently, Fraser River Lightship. Bunch of sailing certs, Safety at Sea, First Aid, etc. Strong, hard working, no drama, team player. 5’9”, 183 lbs, can mix a decent Manhattan, do fibreglass and woodwork repairs. Please PM me if interested. I'll be waiting on the high side.
Old 11-01-2015

Well the first Snowflake of the fall fulfilled expectations. Plenty of wind with a 15 knot easterly giving us a course into the bay. A small Div 1 fleet of 4 boats.
Good call to shorten course to 1 lap as the weather turned ugly.
Old 11-02-2015

That was the most wind we have sailed Excalibur in, and it showed up a couple of weaknesses in our program for sure. We had a few moments of Volvo 70 style water coming over the windward bow downwind and making it back as green water to about the front of the cockpit. And all that at only 10 knots!

Oh, and for anyone wondering what the hell we were doing at the leeward mark, I did try to round it to starboard first, before tacking, jibing, unwinding, and carrying on. Would have been expensive if the J37 had not picked the wrong headsail for beat home, and if Dominatrix had not gone hurtling off into the sunset in a ball of flaming nylon. But I digress.
Old 11-02-2015

Freeboard has it's advantages on days like that. After the windward mark we were thinking about switching down to the #1 for the upwind leg (wind was down to 9ish) but decided to wait til Atkinson before deciding. At that point it was back up to 14 and by the time we got to the leeward mark we were seeing 20 (and the skies had opened up). So glad we left the #3 on deck
Old 02-15-2016

Hi,

Any skippers out there looking for additional crew for this Sunday's snowflake race?

I'm normally sailing with Hurricane but they won't be racing this week. So I need another reason to get out of the house.

On Hurricane I've been doing Foredeck mostly but I'm a decent trimmer/pit as well.

Please let me know.

Thanks,

Steve