border
Home      Register      Show Groups      Photos      Videos     

SailingX > Yacht Club > Dock talk

Notices

Dock talk General sailing chat

Old 05-20-2015

Default Get it while it's good

I removed and replaced some rope clutch handles over the past couple days.

I rebedded them with 3M Fast Cure 4200 polyurethane sealant (medium adhesiveness). I used maybe 1/8th of the tube ($21.27 with tax), and then recapped it.

The remainder will probably only last a week or two in the tube, max.

It's free for the taking if anyone wants it. Reply, PM or email me and we can arrange pickup (central Vancouver).
Old 05-20-2015

The sealant is claimed!
Old 05-21-2015
Supporting Member

Just a heads-up.

Spinlock and Lewmar clutches used to come with a warning decal on the bottom, mounting surface, advising against the use of polysulphide sealants or bedding compounds (ie. 3M 4200/5200 or Sikaflex.)

Your mileage may vary.
Old 05-21-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manana View Post
Just a heads-up.

Spinlock and Lewmar clutches used to come with a warning decal on the bottom, mounting surface, advising against the use of polysulphide sealants or bedding compounds (ie. 3M 4200/5200 or Sikaflex.)

Your mileage may vary.
Yeah, the Spinlock installation instructions are very specific about not using polysulfide sealant. True polysulfides include BoatLIFE Caulk.

Unfortunately, the instructions don't say bugger all about polyurethane sealants, and when it comes to recommendations the best that they can come up with is silicone seal. But let's face it, silicone seal is a kinda crappy sealant for permanent, gasketless sealing duties -- and I really don't want my deck fittings leaking into my cabin overhead.

I have in the past had okay success with BoatLIFE Sealant, which is a polyurethane-silicone blend (kinda weird), but it only comes in giant $40 tubes these days.

I thought I'd be okay with 4200 since it's polyurethane and not polysulfide (the 4200 instructions say "seals some plastics … test for suitability"). But 40 minutes of web research later it seems that indeed polyurethane can also degrade plastics to some degree (though it's apparently not as brutal to plastics as polysulfide). That and it's gonna be a bitch if I ever need to take the damn things off again. Fack, why doesn't anyone stock the small tubes of BoatLIFE blended sealant anymore? It's not like I didn't try to find it.

There's a decent write-up on all this at http://www.powerandmotoryacht.com/hull/caulk-line and another one at http://www.myboatsgear.com/marine-ca...products-guide . The Spinlock instructions can be seen at https://www.spinlock.co.uk/uploads/f...pdf?1383952161

Too bad the Spinlock instructions don't state exactly what plastic the side fairings are made of. Seems to be either ABS or polycarbonate. If the former I'm probably okay. If the latter, I may (or may not) have created a situation that will degrade the plastic fairings over time, though I'm not sure by how much, realistically. If the 4200's caution to "test for suitability" means putting some on in a small area and checking for softening of the plastic, then it passed no problem, as it has had no immediately noticeable deleterious effect on the plastic whatsoever.

I guess time will tell. And the clutches might all be worn out and needing wholesale replacement by then anyway.

EDIT: Actually it seems I have my plastics backwards -- according to West Marine 4200 is fine for all plastics except Lexan or ABS. Which I suppose is why they don't bother selling the blended sealant anymore. http://www.westmarine.com/WestAdviso...ants-and-Caulk
Old 05-21-2015

oh well.... guess those Spinlock clutches I bedded with 10 years ago with Sikaflex won't work.