border
Home      Register      Show Groups      Photos      Videos     

SailingX > Yacht Club > SailingX - Site News

Notices

SailingX - Site News Site info

Old 06-04-2015

Default Cow Bay 2015

Delivery to and from Cow Bay. Me and my J29 are going to Cow Bay this year. If I want to get there by Friday night (before dark), when do I need to leave Vancouver? 9.8 hp outboard, let's assume worst case scenario, motoring the whole way at 6 knots.
If I decided to leave on Thursday, where is the best place to spend the night (prefer docking to anchoring - no water/heat/shower/or proper marine head on the darn J)?
Who else from Div3 is going? Depending on your schedule, I might try to tag along.
Old 06-04-2015

Default Delivery

You will need to check the current gates, and decide Porlier or Active, but you should give yourself roughly 9 hours.

There is a good government dock with washrooms and there are private marinas adjacent. The rates are about the same, and the washrooms are probably better at the government dock.

Leaving Friday morning should not be a problem.
Old 06-04-2015

Quick check of the tides on the Friday (Porlier) indicates high slack at 12:51 PM and you'd get a little push through Samson Narrows as it ebbs. Slack at Samson is at 6:04 PM. It's only a 0.2M tide change to next low slack at 4:46 PM (Porlier) so it won't be ripping thru there even at full ebb.

If you left on Thursday afternoon/evening I might suggest going to Silva Bay and booking a spot sooner rather than later.

I'm thinking about taking my Viper over (technically Div. 3) but will be looking at arranging a tow as the 2 HP will make it far too long a ride under motor.
Old 06-04-2015

Oops, got the dates mixed up. Should have been for the 31st. Low tide is essentially noon with a pretty healthy flood with a change of 3.5 meters. High tide at 7:00 PM. You'd have to leave pretty early (6:00ish) to make low slack on the Friday and then would be pushing tide thru Samson's Narrows.

You might want to consider the Thursday departure.
Old 06-04-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven View Post
You will need to check the current gates, and decide Porlier or Active, but you should give yourself roughly 9 hours.

There is a good government dock with washrooms and there are private marinas adjacent. The rates are about the same, and the washrooms are probably better at the government dock.

Leaving Friday morning should not be a problem.
9 hours max sounds about right most of the time. Given the tides on Jul 31 you probably want to leave around sunrise and definitely want to be at Active by 11 am or Porlier by noon or so.

If you choose Porlier, there is not much current through most of Sansum Narrows but can be lots at the dog leg near Burial Island so Active might be a better choice on that day.
Old 06-04-2015

Godzilla will be going to Cow Bay (as well as SIN and Maple Bay). Not sure if I have crew, but that's a problem I'll worry about after Van Isle. I plan to deliver Friday morning unless it makes sense to make a night run to some intermediate point after Thursday night racing?

Tags
cow bay regatta