Notices

Members / Teams Introduction thread

Old 09-01-2010
J33

I have had my say.

Fair winds.

r
Old 09-01-2010

I'm with J33 on this one. There's already a "Solstice" race in this area that with some tweaking or cooperation between clubs could become closer to the event that Canting wants to put on, likely walking all over the attendance of the race that already exists. The TCYC Solstice Race could be attended by boats from " Nanaimo, Victoria, Bellingham, Seattle ect" if other large clubs helped promote the event.

Canting says "sadly there seems to be tons of conflicts in the spring / early summer. It is hoped that we could attract people from other Nanaimo, Victoria, Bellingham, Seattle ect. Having a distance / nite race around the longest day of the year seems to be logical. The full moon is on or around the 17th of June. Hard not to have the event at that time."

Sadly adding more events is adding more conflicts. Or is my math wrong, one plus one doesn't equal two?

Just my 2 cents.
Old 09-01-2010
Supporting Member

"no good deed ever goes unpunished"

AS I have said it does not matter WHAT weekend, day, hour or minute you pick in the late spring something is happening and someone isnt going to like it.
for the record: this is NOT a BIG CLUB pushing around a small club thing.
I am only the idiot who thought this race may be fun. It is not the Northern 100, it is not straits race it is a simple to run (start and finish at the same place, no marks to put out) in a time of the year (around the longest day of the year with a full moon) that makes racing enjoyable.
Mike Clements is the incoming fleet captian at Royal van and is a great guy. If any clubs have a big schedualing conflict feel free to contact Mike. He is a very fair guy.

I can say I have stepped away from racing this year and have taken up bike racing again. Funny there is no BS rating, my club your club, wrong size sails, my boat weighs this, what rating rule works for me bla bla bla shit. I am not doing that well and you know what? I dont care. I am having so much fun NOT dealing with all the things we sailors thow in the way of a wonderful sport.
I had planned on getting a big boat again but pretty sure I am going to spend the effort and money somewhere else...
Old 09-01-2010
J33

FOR THE RECORD: TCYC already has a SUMMER SOLSTICE RACE that starts and finishes at the same place (off RVYC Breakwater FYI) does not require any marks to be placed, is easy to run, and is on the Solstice making it fun and enjoyable to sail.

Why not bring your boat out and sail in it? Better yet, send your thoughts to the TCYC Fleet Captain and see if they are willing to change the TCYC Summer Solstice race course to Sangster Island?

Quote:
Originally Posted by canting keel View Post
"no good deed ever goes unpunished"

AS I have said it does not matter WHAT weekend, day, hour or minute you pick in the late spring something is happening and someone isnt going to like it.
for the record: this is NOT a BIG CLUB pushing around a small club thing.
I am only the idiot who thought this race may be fun. It is not the Northern 100, it is not straits race it is a simple to run (start and finish at the same place, no marks to put out) in a time of the year (around the longest day of the year with a full moon) that makes racing enjoyable.
Mike Clements is the incoming fleet captian at Royal van and is a great guy. If any clubs have a big schedualing conflict feel free to contact Mike. He is a very fair guy.

I can say I have stepped away from racing this year and have taken up bike racing again. Funny there is no BS rating, my club your club, wrong size sails, my boat weighs this, what rating rule works for me bla bla bla shit. I am not doing that well and you know what? I dont care. I am having so much fun NOT dealing with all the things we sailors thow in the way of a wonderful sport.
I had planned on getting a big boat again but pretty sure I am going to spend the effort and money somewhere else...
Old 09-01-2010
Supporting Member

Rick
sweet baby jesus.... I am going on the assumption you are a rational and good guy.
for the last time CALL MIKE CLEMENTS AND TALK TO HIM!!!!!!! HE IS THE FLEET CAPTIAN OF ROYAL VAN WEDDING CLUB FOR 2011

Frankly I had NO IDEA TCYC ran a race on that weekend until you had brought it up last spring. NO one I spoke to knew about the summer solstice race. my bad

I bought the Melges 24 because I dont get to do long distance races.. and with over 800 built and racing the rating is somewhat established.

My plan for 2011 is to do WAY more bike racing and WAY less sailboat racing. I am doing a small bike race on the weekend on the island they are expecting a smallish turnout of say 65-80 people and it costs 25 dollars and that includes lunch... thet next weekend its the 4000 people riding to whistler in the Grand Fondo. then cyclocross season. sailing??? have fun I never thought I would wain from enjoying sailing after 12 years on the national team, pro sailing around the world and coaching at the last Olympics.. but....
Old 09-01-2010
J33

Point taken. My point has been made. I'll rest here.

r
Old 09-01-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by canting keel View Post
Funny there is no BS rating, my club your club, wrong size sails, my boat weighs this, what rating rule works for me bla bla bla shit. I am not doing that well and you know what? I dont care. I am having so much fun NOT dealing with all the things we sailors thow in the way of a wonderful sport.
Yeah, bike racing has it's own kind of bs though. I raced in the States for 6 or 7 years, and there was always the whining about guys sandbagging in lower categories and not catting up soon enough, or guys in higher cats racing in the age group races, etc... Not to mention the wonderful crashes inherent in bike races. I lost my passion for road racing after eating pavement in a crit and loosing four teeth in the process.

'Cross is a bit of a different deal. Is there a weeknight 'cross series in town?

Back to sailing... I think the idea of a Solstice Race has lot of merit, and is a natural. I think it could be marketed to both the racing and cruising crowds. In Houston, the biggest race of the year, by far, was the Harvest Moon Regatta from Galveston to Corpus Christi. There were about 500 boats in the race, with 400 being cruising boats that only did that one race each year. If the race is billed as "the big event" for everyone to enjoy, you might be surprised at how many boats actually leave the dock for the first time in recorded history. Of course, it takes a lot of years to build an event like that...
Old 09-01-2010
mischief

Let's see, warmer than straits and no delivery, sounds like a good race regardless of who hosts it.

Given that the solstice is midweek, hopefully we don't end up with two events on back to back weekends.

As henryr suggests, it would be great to see something with Bowen or Saltspring like participation.

cheers
Old 09-01-2010

One Problem might be that every 2nd year it will be right after the finish of Van Isle.

It would seem that Van Isle boats/crews are the target market for this kind of race and those folks will be tired out/ out of spouse points for another over night race so soon.

I know Waves suffers a bit from this problem every second year.
Old 09-01-2010
J33

Guys, there is no problem (s) Show up at the start line, race, finish, record time, send to RC. Who cares at this point if there are lots of boats, lots of big names, blah blah. Just friggin come out and race on the Summer Solstice. For 6 years there was one boat, last year 4, this year 10. We had fun each and every year.

All you need do is look at the TCYC website near the Solstice for the SI and your good to go. Period.

R