Home      Register      Show Groups      Photos      Videos     

SailingX > Yacht Club > Members / Teams

Notices

Members / Teams Introduction thread

Old 06-23-2012

Send a message via MSN to ShaneA Send a message via Skype™ to ShaneA

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchockTherapy View Post
On the other hand, yacht clubs do offer very good junior sailing programs that allow the kids to learn to sail with their peers, and the reality is that they will probably have more fun sailing with other kids in dinghies than going out on keelboats with a bunch of "old people"! In many cases you don't have to be club members to participate in the programs.
I agree 100% with this. My kids, nephews and niece have done sailing programs at both Jericho and RVYC and had a fantastic time. I did my dinghy sailing at Hollyburn in the early 80's and still have good memories from those summers.

Once the kids get a bit older they start to get more interested in the keelboats. My 12 year old daughter asked me this week if we'd be going sailing this weekend so I could teach her to sail Twinkle all on her own.

I agree about the priorities and unfortunately in Vancouver, in my experience, it is far too easy to fall into the work, work, work and no time for play mode. Especially when businesses are shutting down, people are being laid off and housing costs continue to rise. I've decided that this year it's a priority to get as much sailing in as possible. If it turns out I don't get out much, then I may look at selling the boat and giving up my slip. I'm hoping that's not the case and the entire family loves the time we spend on the boat and wants to do more. In that case we may be moving to a bigger boat in a couple years and looking to join a club with all those nice outstations and organized family cruises to get involved with.

Shane
Skipper - s/v "Talisman" Santana 30/30 sail #77600