border
Home      Register      Show Groups      Photos      Videos     

SailingX > Yacht Club > Members / Teams

Notices

Members / Teams Introduction thread

Old 03-14-2012

Default Scan

We have a scanner at BCIT and it was done as a student project. The students have been in touch with the Chief handicapper for ORC in Europe and looking at ghe potential for measuring with this technology.
Old 04-22-2012

Default What Next ?

A big shout out and thank you to Wun Hung Lo who has installed a portable miniplexer in Raven. Essentially a device that takes all the NMEA data from the Okams system and broadcasts it Wifi.

So the tactician now has the data streaming into inavX or iregatta on an iphone or ipad. Fortunately the design limits it to 1 user.

It took a few trips and a lot of perserverance as it turned out that there was a bug in the iregatta app and they are fixing it.

Old 04-22-2012

Any links to the technology or any more info on the install?
Ultraman II - Ross 930 #69307
Old 04-22-2012

Default Miniplexer

I don't know the brand, it is about the size of a deck of playing cards with a stubby antennae. I beleive that the unit was about $530.

You need to tap a NMEA source, which should be straight forward but in our case it wasn't and some liaison with Okams was required. And then once we (actually Tim) had that sorted out we could receive it on Expedition but not by iregatta, so it seems that they need to do some debugging to read the NMEA stream but they are on it (in Germany). We are now receiving it on inavx and a laptop.

I'll get a photo onto the site, it is pretty slick, full wind, depth, everything on a damn phone!
Old 04-22-2012

$530 for the WIFI multi-plexer unit? Is this the cheapest way to output NMEA data to WIFI?

I think I will just output NMEA to the laptop over USB from the Nexus instruments. Plus unfortunately iNavx nor iRegatta is available on BB right now and it is the platform paying for the boat...

Very cool were this technology is going and that it is actually within our reach...
Ultraman II - Ross 930 #69307
Old 04-22-2012

Yes it is pricey, another option would be to look at one of the new chart plotters that has a built in WiFi. But then you are looking at some real money too and you still need a tablet with the right app.

Apparently the iregatta app will update the boats polars to reflect as sailed. Will advise whether or not it is worthwhile as we test it out.
Old 04-22-2012
Rubato

Digital Yacht box? I was looking at the specs on those. Would be great info for the tactician. Oh wait, shit, we don't have one of those....
Old 04-30-2012

Default WiFi

Here is a photo of the unit. It is a "Shipmodul miniplexer"
The signal is only accepted by a single receiver which is nice so you don't have 11 tacticians aboard.

We tested on Halibut Bank and it seemed robust enough, it was nice for the tactician because there was no more asking people to get out of the way of the instruments.

The only information that wasn't received was the current direction and speed which Okams computes but the inavx did not recognize that NMEA string.

We also had the AIS streaming into the iphone. Suprisingly easy to view but no doubt an ipad would be better. There doesn't seem to be a comparable android app to inavx yet.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF1758.jpg (582.6 KB, 31 views)
Old 04-30-2012

I do believe you still had 11 tacticians aboard.... ;-)
Old 04-30-2012

this is great we use Inavx on westerly between two ipads but we are not streaming NMEA over wifi. We have expedition and we are still trying to figure it out but we hope to have a network to share the screen of the laptop on the ipads which will be really cool

Tags
raven