Home      Register      Show Groups      Photos      Videos     

SailingX > Yacht Club > Members / Teams

Notices

Members / Teams Introduction thread

Old 04-30-2012
MGarcia

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGSailing View Post
this is great we use Inavx on westerly between two ipads but we are not streaming NMEA over wifi. We have expedition and we are still trying to figure it out but we hope to have a network to share the screen of the laptop on the ipads which will be really cool
New to this.
How does this compare to a on deck chartplotter screen?
Does it mean you can overlay wind/pressure charts on the chart plotter image in real time?
If not, how could we do that?
Old 04-30-2012
das908kind

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGarcia View Post
New to this.
How does this compare to a on deck chartplotter screen?
Does it mean you can overlay wind/pressure charts on the chart plotter image in real time?
If not, how could we do that?
Has nothing to do with chartplotters, which are used for navigation primarily.

These systems take data like SOG, Speed through the water, AWA, TWA, AWS, TWS, Heading and course - feed them all into a computer with computational algorithms. The computer can potentially calculate VMG to the next mark (if mark coordinates are available) or a simple up-wind VMG. If polars/target speeds for the boat are included in the system's data, the computer will tell you how fast you SHOULD be going, in comparison to how fast you ARE going. The tactician can use all this info to accurately track the boat's performance over the race course, and make choices based on that.

Traditionalists may argue that you should be racing "by the seat of your pants" and not chasing numbers on a screen, but this is the cutting edge of racing at the pro-level. Kind of like in F1, when you've got a row of engineers back at the factory watching graphs on screens.
Old 04-30-2012

But maybe the seat of your pants aand local knowledge will keep you away from that hole!
Old 05-01-2012

Default iregatta

Iregatta is available for android $10.65, will take NMEA wifi. Allows you to input your own polars, pretty impressive.
Old 05-01-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by das908kind View Post

These systems take data like SOG, Speed through the water, AWA, TWA, AWS, TWS, Heading and course - feed them all into a computer with computational algorithms. The computer can potentially calculate VMG to the next mark (if mark coordinates are available) or a simple up-wind VMG. If polars/target speeds for the boat are included in the system's data, the computer will tell you how fast you SHOULD be going, in comparison to how fast you ARE going. The tactician can use all this info to accurately track the boat's performance over the race course, and make choices based on that.

Traditionalists may argue that you should be racing "by the seat of your pants" and not chasing numbers on a screen, but this is the cutting edge of racing at the pro-level. Kind of like in F1, when you've got a row of engineers back at the factory watching graphs on screens.
This is all true, the big one is "route optimization" it basically tells you where to go and how to get there, to get to a given point the fastest based on the conditions and your boats performance. however its more of a helpful long term guide than anything else. its not something that you follow a dotted line and it takes all the decision out of it. if that was true you would see all the volvo boats in a line one behind the other as they went around the world. another very helpful tool is laylines at marks based on the boats real time wind angles.
Old 05-01-2012

Is it just me or isn't half the fun looking over your left shoulder and trying to convince yourself that you can lay the mark - the crew hovered over the winches ready to go at a single nod ?

Granted I'm racing against other 4KSB's so we are alll making the call based on feel - once you're racing up with the big dogs (1D35's, CM1200's and SC 70's) I guess you better have as much information as possible to help keep you competitive with the other programs
Old 05-01-2012

I find having the target boat speed displayed (calculated from your polars) displayed along with your actual boat speed very useful. In general, we are not using instruments to judge the lay line. The AIS is a huge safety and tactical tool, I upgraded to the transponder and receiver unit as I want shipping to know where I am. The ability to see what is coming down the Strait of Juan de Fuca or to see if you will pass ahead or behind a ferry can be very useful. But it certainly shouldn't be a substitute for seamanship, expereince or local knowledge. It is just so neat to have all this information available in a cell phone!
Old 05-01-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tye (Ed) View Post
Is it just me or isn't half the fun looking over your left shoulder and trying to convince yourself that you can lay the mark - the crew hovered over the winches ready to go at a single nod ?
"Wait, we can't be laying the mark yet because I haven't finished my beverage..."

I'm with ya there, Tye.
Old 05-01-2012
Rubato

Quote:
Originally Posted by das908kind View Post

Older chart plotters, let's say 10+ yrs, were simple nav devices. Most of the ones from say 5 yrs ago easily provide VMG to wind or mark because they're integrated with other instruments by a network. Now you find ones that also overlay weather, AIS, etc. However, it's still tough to find ones that work with the polars - for that you have to go with separate apps as described in this thread OR go to a high end system like B&G...
Old 05-01-2012

That is the nice thing about ireggata, you can input the polars. You can easily convert the numbers on an ORC cert into polars or get them from US Sailing. So for $10 anyone can have them (if you have windspeed).

Tags
raven