SailingX > Yacht Club > Members / Teams

Notices

Members / Teams Introduction thread

Old 05-01-2012

And Wifi...
Ultraman II - Ross 930 #69307
Old 05-01-2012
MGarcia

Yeah, I get that, the chart plotter on the boat I sail on, has all the usual highish end stuff, screen by the driver and downstairs, vmg to mark, sog, etc.
We will link it to wind/water instruments soon since the tools are there.

My doubts are how do we hook it up to wind/weather plots and polars?

Altough polars seem to not be a good thing since it tells your trimmers they suck! :P

Anyway, more interested in the prediction part overlayed on a map.

Hate to think a phone and $10 software can do more than a decent plotter but I guess that is the future.
Old 05-01-2012

Some times the polars tell the driver to head up or down if you are too fast for optimum VMG
Old 05-01-2012

The Ockam system Raven has is as good as its gets. It's one of the fastest true wind solution systems out there. Even if the processor on their base system is from 1983. Not the easiest system to master, but it can give you a lot of useful info, especially when tied to nav software.
For computer geeks the Ockam instruments are a throw back to building your own computer. It is completely modular, buy the components, make the connections, test... calibrate. Definitely not plug and play. But once it's fully set up.....

The down side is you need a dedicated navigator to disseminate the info. I think 40' is about the minimum to dedicate someone to this. New app's still can't really replace something like Expedition. But they come close for fraction of the cost.

Some drivers are completely seat of the pants, and just know when their boat is in max groove, for the rest of us, there's help. The nice thing about ORC, gulp, it gave the boats polars, something to aim for on W/L.
Old 11-07-2012

Default Putting the Fun back into Dysfunctional

Thought folks may enjoy this memo as much as I did, names have been altered to protect the guilty

On the boyz weekend I fell. Quite badly. For this I blame the wife of the XXXX commodore, and whoever invented gin and forgot to invent mix. She also fell. (karma?) As did XXXXX. (casualty of war?) The difference was that I managed to find my way half way into the ocean. On stopping my fall I cracked a rib (or two). Its healing but I am occasionally alarmed at how much it hurts (when I sleep). I just wanted to give you a heads up as far as my ability to really crank on a winch (different than wench) this weekend. I am happy to do whatever but I may very quickly bow out of any harsh core twisting activities. I'm sure I'll be fine, but just wanted that in your head.

Unfortunately this was one of the more reliable crew members.
Old 11-07-2012

I want to know what the commodore's wife was doing at the boyz weekend!
Old 11-07-2012
das908kind

Can you at least tell us which yacht club?
Old 11-07-2012

I can only narrow it down to it having 4 letters in the abbreviation.
I am just so glad I wasn't there.
Old 02-10-2013

Default Patos & Straits

Raven has registered for the long courses in both Round Patos and Southern Straits.

Looking forward to it!
Old 02-11-2013
WunHungLo

Default Wifi

Ian, the good news on the Shipmodul Wifi mux, is the that price is lower than when I bought one. List is under $400.

I had a chat with the DMK developer at the Seattle show. It allows more than one wifi connection, can parse NMEA 2000/Canbus sentences, NMEA 0183, and Seatalk. It has fewer input ports than the Shipmodul Miniplex, and doesn't have any port filtering like the Shipmodul or the Kiwi Brookhouse mux. The DMK is also under $400.

The DMK response on filtering was that Expedition can do that downstream of their mux. It's true, but Expedition is overkill for most local racing, and the combination of iNavx and iRegatta covers all/most needs but auto weather routing.

At this juncture, I think for most local boats wanting to use the iphone/ipad/other tablet tools, the filtering and more input ports of the Shipmodul miniplex still wins over having more than one wifi connection.
In addition, NMEA0183 is still being recognized by most nav apps.
One of the other advantages of filtering with the Miniplex is it allows two GPS feeds in (e.g primary GPS directly in, or if already integrated with sailing instruments, coming in with with the instrument link, and a second GPS input via AIS or a back up GPS.) and filters out one of them. If the primary one dies, the second blocking filter is basically turned off so you have an automatic, and uninterrupted position fed to nav apps.

I'll be getting another Miniplex.

Tags
raven