border
Home      Register      Show Groups      Photos      Videos     

SailingX > Yacht Club > Members / Teams

Notices

Members / Teams Introduction thread

Old 02-11-2013

Thanks, that sounds like I should probably get one, I can't rmember if you had sucess getting the Ockams info such as wind through the miniplexer or if it was soley the gps/ais data.

We are having challenges bringing the ockhams info into the E90, although we don't really need it down below.

It turns out that although the E90W will take Sirius weather, according to the Roton people, there is no weather coverage for Canada by Sirius, so it goes back to the sat phone/laptop arrangement.
Old 02-11-2013
Rubato

Quote:
Originally Posted by WunHungLo View Post
Ian, the good news on the Shipmodul Wifi mux, is the that price is lower than when I bought one. List is under $400.

I had a chat with the DMK developer at the Seattle show. It allows more than one wifi connection, can parse NMEA 2000/Canbus sentences, NMEA 0183, and Seatalk. It has fewer input ports than the Shipmodul Miniplex, and doesn't have any port filtering like the Shipmodul or the Kiwi Brookhouse mux. The DMK is also under $400.

The DMK response on filtering was that Expedition can do that downstream of their mux. It's true, but Expedition is overkill for most local racing, and the combination of iNavx and iRegatta covers all/most needs but auto weather routing.

At this juncture, I think for most local boats wanting to use the iphone/ipad/other tablet tools, the filtering and more input ports of the Shipmodul miniplex still wins over having more than one wifi connection.
In addition, NMEA0183 is still being recognized by most nav apps.
One of the other advantages of filtering with the Miniplex is it allows two GPS feeds in (e.g primary GPS directly in, or if already integrated with sailing instruments, coming in with with the instrument link, and a second GPS input via AIS or a back up GPS.) and filters out one of them. If the primary one dies, the second blocking filter is basically turned off so you have an automatic, and uninterrupted position fed to nav apps.

I'll be getting another Miniplex.
I've been looking at the manuals this evening and am pretty much sold on the Shipmodul Miniplex. It also appears that you can have more than one device connected to it by WiFi you just need to run it (and the apps on the wireless devices) to run in UDP mode (not TCP/IP).
Old 02-12-2013

I guess the question is whether or not you want multiple tacticians!
Old 02-12-2013
Rubato

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven View Post
I guess the question is whether or not you want multiple tacticians!
That problem occured long before wireless devices
Old 02-12-2013

But at least back then they couldn't see the numbers...
Ultraman II - Ross 930 #69307
Old 02-13-2013

There is an upside to everyone seeing the instruments. My boat, with lots of deadrise, makes the paddlewheel read way different on either tack. I know the difference, so when I let guests steer it's always on Port tack, then I take over, tack to starboard, and rocket away upwind at 7.6 knots. Everyone is impressed, and no one argues with me after that!
Old 02-13-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schnick View Post
There is an upside to everyone seeing the instruments. My boat, with lots of deadrise, makes the paddlewheel read way different on either tack. I know the difference, so when I let guests steer it's always on Port tack, then I take over, tack to starboard, and rocket away upwind at 7.6 knots. Everyone is impressed, and no one argues with me after that!
Most instruments have a calibration for that. But I like your system too.
Old 02-13-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordo View Post
Most instruments have a calibration for that. But I like your system too.
Not Signets ca. 1983...
Old 02-13-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schnick View Post
Not Signets ca. 1983...
could you twist the paddle wheel a bit? It would do the same thing as the calibrations at certain heel angles, but maybe have the opposite effects when sailing downwind.
Old 03-17-2013

Default Emergency Steering

The last couple of years we did the blade band clamped to the spin pole concept, the safetey inspector at the last Van Isle wasn't too impressed. This year we have put in a cassette tiller and rudder from a Flying Tiger. I built a transom bracket out of fibreglass and ProTech fabricated a backing plate and pin assembly as well as putting me in touch with the owner of the Tiger. It is not light, however I believe that it will work.

We plan on racing with the cassette attached and the tiller lashed to the pushpit.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Emergency Rudder.jpg (121.8 KB, 70 views)

Tags
raven