Home      Register      Show Groups      Photos      Videos     

SailingX > Yacht Club > Members / Teams

Notices

Members / Teams Introduction thread

Old 06-14-2012
mr-canada

Default New 26 columbia mk 2 owner

Hi!

I am a total rookie who has always been wanting to get into sailing. I am the proud new owner of a 26 columbia mk 2 with lots of upgrades based in squamish (i live in new west, boat is in squamish).

Just starting to learn and i am more interested in cruising than racing at this point but im happy to learn!

Been blowing my brains out with books have learned a lot. I am getting great instruction from the seller, soon i will be taking her out on my own maybe in a couple of weeks.

Its going to be a great summer!!!
Old 06-14-2012

Default Welcome !

Chris ... you will get all sorts of guidance from the sailing community. Welcome !
Old 06-14-2012

Welcome, consider getting involved with the Squamish Yacht Club, great group of people.
Old 06-14-2012
mr-canada

I certainly will, my boat is moored there. I am partnered on the boat with my cousin who is a member.

Its a really nice place, they have a ton of programs!
Old 06-14-2012

I suggest you go out as crew racing on other peoples boats as much as possible even if you just want to cruise yours.

Pros.
-Experience sailing in all conditions. No wind and toooooo much wind. This is good because you lean the too much wind thing that you might accidentally get caught in one day that no cruiser goes looking for.
-when something breaks its not your boat... Like when you are out in the high wind conditions and a sail rips it doesn't cost you a thing when you're just one of the crew. I do suggest buying the owner a beer though to drown his sorrows.
-you can go learn from a lot of people who each might have a different approach and different setups... The best way to learn.
-not every boat is super competitive. Some guys go out to have a couple beers bad if they are last who cares. Others scream and yell and throw tantrums if they are not first and of course everything in between so go play with what ever level you want. It won't be hard to figure out which group is which.

Cons... I've got nothing.
Old 06-14-2012
mr-canada

Yeah i have contemplated going as crew racing... Its just hard to not be on my brand new (to me) sailboat when i have the time to go sail. Are there midweek race events? If im hoed up at work it might be a decent fix to get out on the water even if it isnt my boat midweek
Old 06-14-2012

I don't know about your club but a lot of clubs do Wednesday night racing during the summers. Someone here will chime in about your club and ones near you.

Ps. It won't be as hard when you find out how much some people put out on keeping their boat racing let them spend the money on the race boats so you can spend yours on your boats cruising gear
Old 06-14-2012
mr-canada

Yeah, syc does racain briefing 9am sunday morning for same day

Younare right there though let the racers buy the racing gear i am more interested in like squamish - powell river trips with lots of anchoring anlong the way.
Old 06-15-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr-canada View Post
Yeah, syc does racain briefing 9am sunday morning for same day

Younare right there though let the racers buy the racing gear i am more interested in like squamish - powell river trips with lots of anchoring anlong the way.
The SYC does our "Gin and Tonic" series every Friday night, tonight included. Basically a bunch of boats go out, sail around Friday evenings until the wind dies and then raft together for a BBQ that goes until all hours. The winner of the "race" is the last boat tied up that night (technically the next morning) This series has both sail and power playing together and we have had up to 12 boats rafted up drifting around in the current.

There are races June 17, and then June 24 to conclude the spring series. Skippers meetings at 1300hrs on the 17th and 1200hrs on the 24th. There is a whitesail cruising class that is really low pressure with some inexperienced boats. It really is just an excuse to go sailing for those guys. Please do bring your boat out.

What is the name of your boat?

Scott
Old 06-15-2012

In Squamish I'm thinking he might have bought Randy's old boat? C26 mk 2 is actually an under appreciated boat, that one that does Whidbey every year does really well.