border
Home      Register      Show Groups      Photos      Videos     

SailingX > Yacht Club > Members / Teams

Notices

Members / Teams Introduction thread

Old 11-17-2012

Do you have to pay tax/import duty on a used boat? (I was horrified I had to pay tax on my used car)
Old 11-17-2012

From what I understand, while you don't pay HST, you are supposed to pay 12% Tax on Designated Property (TDP) in lieu of.

This was discussed at some length on a recent thread about the Riviera Star, and somewhere in the thread (in a post from Maxx), there is a link to the form to submit TDP.

Also, if the boat was built outside North America, and if it has not been previously brought into Canada, then duty of something like 9.8% is owed. But if it had been previously brought into Canada, and duty paid at that time, then duty would not be owed again, from my understanding.
Old 11-17-2012

The rules are different if you are moving to Canada. I didn't have to pay any taxes or duties for anything other than my wine collection.
Old 11-21-2012

What are RVYC's membership fees, and joining costs?

The website talks about fees and that I would have to pay them but couldn't find a link anywhere, its like those expensive watch shops, you really shouldn't be looking if you have to ask how much it is!!!
Old 11-21-2012
das908kind

Quote:
Originally Posted by set321go View Post
its like those expensive watch shops, you really shouldn't be looking if you have to ask how much it is!!!
Haven't you ever heard of a yacht club before? Keep in mind - this one has "royal" in the title.
Old 11-21-2012

Quote:

The website talks about fees and that I would have to pay them but couldn't find a link anywhere, its like those expensive watch shops, you really shouldn't be looking if you have to ask how much it is!!!
I don't know what Royal Van's are. Probably not published anywhere but WVYC's is here: http://www.wvyc.bc.ca/images/stories...fees__dues.pdf
It might be a little higher soon as AGM is next week. Usually up the rates at that time. I haven't heard of big increase; just normal fair for clubs like that.

The duty rate for boats importing into Canada is 9.5% in most cases however with NAFTA rules in effect you will be able to import duty free "if", and only if, it's domestic product made in North America IE: Made in Canada or the US. But it needs to be documented in some manner. There are some R.O.C. preferred duty for Canadian importation rates as well but I've hadn't looked at them lately - it's usually not much of an issue. Either way you have to pay the 12% TDP on the sale of any product in BC.
Old 11-21-2012

Quote:

Well, I can't give you an exact answer for RVYC because the initiation fees are dependent on your age. I can tell you that 5 years ago for a 40 year old it was in the neighborhood of $25,000. Monthly dues will run around $300. Even if you join, your chances of getting moorage for a keelboat any time soon are slim at best. There is a very long wait list!

Deep Cove Yacht Club in North Van is a bit more affordable at $5500 initiation and $650/year dues. It is a fair distance from English Bay, and there is no organized dinghy racing in the area.

It really depends on what you expect to get out of a club.
Old 11-22-2012

Any RVYC Member can provide you with a membership application and entry fee schedule.
Ultraman II - Ross 930 #69307
Old 11-22-2012

Quote:
Hello,

Recently moved to Vancouver with my gf, living North Shore I start work Downtown and she starts up in mount seymour in a couple of weeks. We are from the UK. I have a few questions

Would like to do some dinghy sailing, kind of the wrong season I know but what fleets sail here and from what yacht clubs? I have previously campaigned topper, 29er, finn, rs600 & laser 4k so everythings game!

We are looking for some keelboat racing too, would that be the same clubs as the dinghy sailing or different ones?

We are also both RYA SI's planning to get CYA tickets as it looks like there is an equivalency program, I dont teach full time anymore but I have been running my old clubs training program for the last couple of years and would like to keep up the teaching. My gf is a full time instructor Skiing and Sailing so she will be looking for work for next sailing season soon, any suggestions?

thanks
Alex
Welcome Alex! I don't meant to be so overtly opportunistic....but if your GF is looking for a ride...we have a very fun program.....and need another set of steady, experienced hands We (my crew) are all big skiiers too - and always looking to add new friends!
http://www.maritimediva.com/adventures.html
Old 11-22-2012

Not trying to poach any prospective RVYC members, but you are welcome to attend some Tiddly Cove Yacht Club events. I think the next one is the New Years Day race, monthly meetings with guest speakers at the Maritime Museum. 3rd Thursday of each month (except this month).
TCYC has a thread on this site and a website.
Several great clubs around, RVYC and TCYC are at opposite ends of the spectrum but both have active racers.

Tags
clubs, coaching, dinghy, keelboat