border
Home      Register      Show Groups      Photos      Videos     

SailingX > Yacht Club > The patio

Notices

The patio Off topic chat

Old 02-11-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordo View Post
wow that's a brutal depreciation. My dad bought a chevy cobalt, 0 options base car for about 12,000 in 2008, he decided to trade it in. Coastal ford was going to give $9000, I was in shock, Dueuk was $7500. If you go domestic check Ford, they have been producing good products for a couple years now. The domestic guys really want to deal on certain models too.
And this depreciation was with less than 50K kms on the car. Trade in is always a balance of what they give you for your car and what you are paying for the new one. The benchmark is asking price on CL. Keep in mind you don't pay tax on the trade in value, so if they offer you $10K trade in, you have to sell for $11200 to be better off. And selling a car on CL is a shitty way to spend your spare time.

On the other hand, I bought a 2008 Toyota FJ Cruiser (took over a friend's lease) for ~$26K in mid-2009 and it is probably worth $22-25K today. Does have a lot of aftermarket stuff that came with it. Some cars depreciate a lot, others not so much.

At the end of the day in the city we always took the Mazda 3 as it was more fun/easier to drive. For roadtrips, we always take the FJ for the room. I would serious consider the Focus or the Mazda 3.
Ultraman II - Ross 930 #69307
Old 02-11-2013

Depreciation is a bit of a concern, but we are not ones to change cars frequently. My wife bought her Tercel new back in '93! Ultimately the plan is for this car to last well into retirement, or at least until the nest is empty and we are ready to consolidate 2 cars into 1. I just want the car to last as long as the Toyota has!
Old 02-11-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubato View Post
I'd favour the Mazda and the Civic. Mazdas are fun to drive but don't seem to hold their value. I've had a few Honda/Acura over the years and like the positive feel on the road and very reliable. Having said that, I haven't driven a Civic in some time. I understand maintenance on VW/Audi is frequent and expensive. I always suggest consulting the consumer reports frequency of repair reports....
Check the USA webiste,http://www.nhtsa.gov/Vehicle+Safety/Recalls+&+Defects . It cover defects and recalls and will give a good indication of a cars build quality in terms of mechanical. There is also a complaint section worth your time to find out what issues people are having with new and old cars.
Old 02-11-2013

Send a message via MSN to ShaneA Send a message via Skype™ to ShaneA

I had a 2005 Mazda 3 GT hatch with sunroof, leather, A/C that I purchased new. Very fun car to drive but I wouldn't purchase another one.

I have to agree with the highly inflated mileage numbers from Mazda. I think the advertised 6.2 highway and 7.5 city. I averaged around 10 with mixed driving and the best was 7.5 pure highway driving down I-5. If you drive it like it wants to be driven you can easily burn 12-15.

Another issue I had was maintenance and fit/finish. The car looks great and the interior finish is nice, but after a year the hatchback and other interior parts rattled and squeaked. When I asked Mazda they said they'd have to charge me because the car had more than 20,000km. The Mazda brake pads wear very fast. They were telling to replace them after 20,000km. I got Hawk pads put in and they were still good when I sold the car (@ 100,000km). I had to replace they clutch at 85,000 km. I've had 2 VW Westie's and a Jetta, never had to replace a clutch and those vehicles had a lot more km on them.

I also found resale was pretty low. I babied my car, regular service, after market upgrades and I only managed to get $12k for it after 5 years.
Skipper - s/v "Talisman" Santana 30/30 sail #77600
Old 02-11-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchockTherapy View Post
Depreciation is a bit of a concern, but we are not ones to change cars frequently. My wife bought her Tercel new back in '93! Ultimately the plan is for this car to last well into retirement, or at least until the nest is empty and we are ready to consolidate 2 cars into 1. I just want the car to last as long as the Toyota has!
Weirdly, while I always sort of hated the previous-generation Yaris, I'd almost have to recommend the new Yaris to you. You should probably at least give it a look. I tested a current-generation SE with the manual transmission a while back and it was actually pretty entertaining to drive.

Given your positive experience with the Tercel, and desire for (in Toyota's marketing language) "epic reliability" the Yaris does have this to recommend it: it uses pretty much the same engine and transmission design as the Tercel ;-)

You can see my review at http://www.thetelegram.com/Autos/Toy...-Test-Review/1

I also quite like the small Fords (Fiesta and Focus) as they offer a lot of "big car" features in a small package. The Mazda3 is pretty good but already well discussed here, and overall I think the Ford Focus is the better of those platform sharing siblings.

The Hyundai Elantra GT also offers an interestesting alternative that's been winning much praise lately (see http://www.autos.ca/car-test-drives/...elantra-gt-se/ ) It has a smaller sibling in the Accent, and of course there's Hyundai's Kia cousins (Rio and Forte/Forte5) if you're looking at the value-for-money. I've driven but not reviewed those two, and they are fun and well-kitted for the money but I can't speak to their reliability compared to Toyota.

I'm kind of mixing up compacts and subcompacts here, but it gives some more ideas of cars to check out.
Old 02-11-2013

I have always liked Toyota, but lately they have been missing the mark in the styling dept! Damn they make some ugly cars. The ones that aren't ugly are just plain dull. I do intend to check them out before I buy, in fact when I was at NS Automall I pulled in to Jim Patison Toyota to have a look. I literally had to drive through a group of salesmen standing around in the lot. I got out and started looking around, reading tags, and generally looking interested in the cars. Then I went into the showroom to look more closely at the cars. All that time and nobody even acknowleged my existence, let alone asked if I had any questions. I ended up walking out of the place without a word spoken! It was a stark contrast to the other dealers I had just been to! I guess Toyota salesmen aren't very hungry!
Old 02-13-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchockTherapy View Post
I have always liked Toyota, but lately they have been missing the mark in the styling dept! Damn they make some ugly cars. The ones that aren't ugly are just plain dull. I do intend to check them out before I buy, in fact when I was at NS Automall I pulled in to Jim Patison Toyota to have a look. I literally had to drive through a group of salesmen standing around in the lot. I got out and started looking around, reading tags, and generally looking interested in the cars. Then I went into the showroom to look more closely at the cars. All that time and nobody even acknowleged my existence, let alone asked if I had any questions. I ended up walking out of the place without a word spoken! It was a stark contrast to the other dealers I had just been to! I guess Toyota salesmen aren't very hungry!
Well, if you like Toyota but aren't so sure about the styling or dealership experience, there's always Scion, ha ha!

The xD is the slightly smaller and somewhat better looking of the Scion box-mobiles, and it wasn't actually a bad car to drive. Certainly quite practical.
http://www.thetelegram.com/Autos/Sci...-Test-Review/1

The tC is basically a Corolla in Coupe clothing and with a bigger engine. It's surprisingly practical and roomy for a coupe (even the back seat is genuinely useable), so if you want a Corolla but don't really want, well, a Corolla, it's an interesting alternative. http://www.autos.ca/car-test-drives/...se-series-8-0/

Then of course there's the FR-S which is absolutely splendid but definitely not all that practical. But I want one ... http://www.thetelegram.com/Autos/Sci...-Test-Review/1

Just don't get Scion's obnoxious extra-cost "tuner" exhaust systems -- save your money (and your hearing) and keep the factory exhaust!
Old 02-13-2013

Too bad Yugo isn't still around...
Old 02-13-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Day4Kid View Post
Too bad Yugo isn't still around...
I checked out a Yugo once at a car show way back when. When I closed the door, the dome light cover popped out of the roofliner and bounced off my head.

I put it back in place, climbed out of the car, closed the door, and the cover fell out again and landed on the passenger seat.

I'm sure there's a name for that feature ...
Old 02-13-2013

Send a message via Skype™ to Drizzie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krikkitman View Post
Then of course there's the FR-S which is absolutely splendid but definitely not all that practical. But I want one ... http://www.thetelegram.com/Autos/Sci...-Test-Review/1

Just don't get Scion's obnoxious extra-cost "tuner" exhaust systems -- save your money (and your hearing) and keep the factory exhaust!
I'd prefer the BRZ badged version but I'm a Subaru guy. Love those cars.