border
Home      Register      Show Groups      Photos      Videos     

SailingX > Yacht Club > The patio

Notices

The patio Off topic chat

Old 02-24-2013
Administrator

Default Your bandwidth ?

Hey guys, I wanted to know what your down load and upload speeds are like, what service provider are you using and how much do you pay for this great service.

I have been with Telus for quite some time, but I am not sure if other provides might give better upload and down load speeds for the money.

I just used a Bandwidth test where one can choose among hundreds of geographically dispersed servers around the world. Also shows a summary of one's tests. www.speedtest.net

This Bandwidth test gave me 5.84 MB/S download and .86 MB/S upload, I am currently running Telus Internet 6 for 50 bucks a month.

Maybe it is time to try a different provider ?

Last edited by Blackice; 03-03-2013 at 09:15 PM.
Old 02-24-2013

Also Telus, but i get a solid 9Mbps down and .9 up from my mobile over wifi. I haven't actually used my laptop in months in the house.
Old 02-24-2013

I get 5.2/.86 with Telus.

If you want more speed you can call customer service and tell them you are thinking of switching to Shaw because you aren't happy with your bandwidth. Odds are they will bump you up to the next speed package. (I don't bother because I don't do anything bandwidth intensive)

My past experience with shaw has been that it is faster overall, but inconsistent, depending on usage in your neighborhood. I also had more service interruptions, occasional packet loss problems, and very slow customer service.
Old 02-25-2013
Rubato

4.4 down 1.1 up with shaw, wifi on a tablet. No idea of cost as its lumped in with cable. Been very happy with it.
Old 02-25-2013

Shaw, on Wifi Router.

Download speed, 13.04
Upload, 2.43

how much? IDK
Old 02-25-2013

15.25 and 2.4

I pay $88.00 per month which includes basic cable and Shaw's fastest internet.

Put through an Airport extreme or express depending on where I am in the house.
Old 02-25-2013
Rubato

Decided to try the test at work just for the heck of it. 48.5 down, 4.8 up using Shaw.

Gordo, that's a great download speed for home service. You must be on one of the premium internet packages...
Old 02-25-2013

Send a message via MSN to ShaneA Send a message via Skype™ to ShaneA

I'm not at home so I can't test it currently, but when I've done testing in the past I consistently get 23-24 down with my Telus Optik package ($47/month). Don't remember the up speed though.

I do live in a new neighborhood and it's all wired with fiber right into the house. It's a much better experience than I've had with Shaw in the past where I'd get good download in the middle of the night, but terrible if I was using it in the peak hours.
Skipper - s/v "Talisman" Santana 30/30 sail #77600
Old 02-25-2013

I have had similar issues with cable too. It really depends on how many people are using it at the time. I did that test at 7 this morning, not exactly peak, I'll run it again tonight at 7.
Old 02-25-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaneA View Post
23-24 down with my Telus Optik package
Smoke'n! Fibre channel is in the box only 5 houses away. one day I'll just run my own line... Think they'll notice?