border
Home      Register      Show Groups      Photos      Videos     

SailingX > Yacht Club > Dock talk

Notices

Dock talk General sailing chat

Old 03-15-2013

Default Sleep deprived amateur pharmacist error

Vic Maui on a C&C 37/40R.
June 27th: Pre-start, late break on the genoa sheet, impaled it on a spreader and tore it 24" to the leech. One sail down and we haven't even started yet.
July 3rd: Changing from the reacher to the #2, then the #3 and back up again. Big swells have me floating up a couple inches off the bow, which is then submerged in a couple inches of green water that hits my knees, deflects up my thighs and chest, up my nose, then down my neck. The cold greasy chicken I had for dinner came up much quicker than it went down, next wave washed it away.
5th: cut the corner too early, spent most of a day becalmed.
8th: no sleep, sail changes
10th: phoned home, found out friend's mother died unexpectedly.
12th: no sleep, sail changes, surfed a set of 3 big waves to 16.9 knts, scooped up green water to the cabin top which went down an open hatch next to mast, onto the head of a sleeping off-watch crew, wet bunk for the rest of the trip. Owner is not getting enough sleep, we convince him to take a sleeping pill; he plays pharmacist and at the same time dispenses a laxative for a constipated crew member, but mixes up the meds. Sleep deprived skipper spends the next while on the head with the runs and the crew is falling asleep worried that he is going to foul his sleeping bag when the "laxative" takes effect. Good times.
Old 03-21-2013
Administrator

I was doing bow on Mad Max one year in Southern Straights. It was blowing pretty hard with big waves.... We went to change down to the #3 (again). While doing so I was picked up off the deck by a Wave and then dropped in the coxpit. Good thing Max was not 30 feet long. I would have gone over the back of the boat !
Old 03-21-2013

Vic Maui a while ago....... Just outside of the strait, hard on the wind in 27 true with some big rollers. We are a c&c 40ish with a MH rig. #3 and two tucks.

Rig starts pumping a bit so we decide to rig up the Baby stay ( we kept it off for the short tacking out of the strait).

Nearing sunset, so trying to rush a bit to get the job done.

I go up the rig on a MH halyard with bitter end of baby stay. "sporty" ride up. Wedge myself in at the jobsite and after ten
Minutes, finally get the pin through. Now I am working on the split ring, one of the toughest jobs to perform with cold fingers even on deck, at the dock, let alone wrestling a bull 3/4 of the way up the rig. 20 min later, i hear the satisfying click of the ring closing around the target - I am done. Fully spent too.

Just as I am I un-wedging myself I hear a curious yell from on deck ...look down to see fear in everyone's eyes (it's fully dark at this point but the eyes of those on deck are clearly wide like Gollum). I realize they had yelled "wave!" just a split second too late. Event details are sketchy from this point on, but I will give you my version:

The rig is suddenly and Curiously far away from me. I had such a good view of the sailplan, I clearly remember trying to remind myself to add more Cunningham when I got back on deck. Then I watch in horror as the boat drops off a monster wave and yet I seem to be frozen in space 10 ft away from the rig, as there is now enough slack in the halyard connecting me to the mast to skip rope.

In an instant the halyard goes from slack to very tight.

I get yanked up and over the top of the rig. Some say I went around the forestay but I took the windex with me so I am pretty sure of my trajectory.

Good view of the mast, hull, my life as I know it from the apogee of my orbit.

I make impact with the lee side of the #3 and am scrabbling for something, anything to hold onto. Boat is heeled over very far and the top of the rig seems very far out over the open sea. I manage to grab the little batten ejector rope and hang on for all I am worth. It seems forever for the driver to head up and put the boat into the wind.

I manage to transfer to the lee shrouds and monkey my way down, getting absolutely pummeled on the way. Get spun around once or twice and definitely remember being upside down at least once.

Make it down to deck and the fireman crewmember onboard drags me to the cockpit floor where I lie in a heap, just trying to breathe. Despite me saying I am fine, skipper orders fireman to confirm no broken bones or major trauma.

I went below to get some rest, and they let me sleep through my next watch.
Old 03-21-2013

Geoff - that is one of the best sailing stories ever ! ............... makes me love this sport even more.

f you haven't used that on any girls in the bar yet ........ start immediatley !
Old 03-22-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tye (Ed) View Post
Geoff - that is one of the best sailing stories ever ! ............... makes me love this sport even more.

f you haven't used that on any girls in the bar yet ........ start immediatley !
Best told at the bar with your climbing harness and sailing gloves still on I think...
Old 03-25-2013
Supporting Member

"You're damn right I ordered the Samurai take down....."
Old 03-25-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manana View Post
"You're damn right I ordered the Samurai take down....."
When you say it like that, it sounds like a drink.

So here's the challenge for all SailingX'ers: What should a "Samurai Takedown" have in it? Given it's sailorly name one might gravitate towards rum, but then, given that a Samurai takedown is a bit of a desperate measure, you could make an argument for almost any alcohol (maybe base it on the leftover Palm Bay vodka coolers that have been sculling unwanted in the bottom of the icebox since last year's Deep Cove Regatta ...)

You could also do some riff on the existing Cape Samurai (http://cocktails.about.com/od/vodkad...pe_samurai.htm). I like the idea of the wasabi -- a definite Samurai takedown kind of ingredient.

Hmmm ... Gravity Storm sounds like a cocktail too ... probably wants lots of bitters in it.

No prizes here, but perhaps eternal fame in yacht club bars around the world.
Old 03-25-2013

That is a GREAT name for a drink! So, is that going to be the goal of this year's Deep Cove Regatta cocktail contest? To create a drink that will forevermore be known as a Samurai Takedown as voted by a mob of drunken sailors?
Old 03-26-2013

Yes yes and yes - ladies and gentleman we have ourselves a formal agenda for this years DCYC cocktail competition !
Old 03-20-2015

Yo GJR - as you're heading out for your night sail tonight have your crew read Geoff's mast climbing account and StephenC's pharmacy issues. Two of my favorite over-night sailing stories!

I would also like to follow up with the cocktail - did we ever master the Samurai takedown?

Tags
overnight