border
Home      Register      Show Groups      Photos      Videos     

SailingX > Yacht Club > Dock talk

Notices

Dock talk General sailing chat

Old 06-05-2013

Default Custom Tariff PFD

Hello,

I get a massive discount on a spinlock PFD because I am an RYA instructor, I have spoken to them and they are able to send from their NA warehouse which is in the US.

Does anyone know what import duty I will need to pay? I found some documents that said it was 18% and some that said 0% if it came from the US (quite a big difference). Anyone have any experience? Obviously I will have tax on top of that as well.
Old 06-05-2013

My experience shipping boat and bike parts is that you will pay a lot of money to Purolator or Fedex no matter what. If US Post it is about 50/50 you will get hit by duty/brokerage or get nothing, and I have not figured out a way to predict it.
Old 06-05-2013

If you have it shipped here and it is made in the US there should be no Duty. It also used to be that safety equipment was PST exempt - not sure if that is still the case. You will have to pay a minimum of $75 in brokerage to whomever fills out the paper to get it across the border.

I usually ship things to a PO box in Blaine (Canamer Freight) and pick it up myself.
Old 06-05-2013
Supporting Member

I think UPS has one of the better brokerage deals...It used to be $40 on packages less than $500, I think...although you have to let them handle it which sometimes takes for ever...the duty amount will depend on the country of manufacture...

I know there is no duty on marine hardware made from base metals, manufactured in the US but not sure where the spinlock stuff falls...

You could PM "The Dude" here on the board...he works for our local Spinlock distributor...he might be able to work out a similar deal if it is direct from spinlock...
Old 06-05-2013

Caution - if it is shipped from the US, it probably will not have the required TC label.

I have a Mustang that I bought when I lived in Houston. It has the USCG label and not the TC one. It is identical to the one's sold here, but is not acceptable for TC inspection.
Old 06-05-2013

thanks all.

its going to cost me lots (I will try 'The dude'), if I cant work anything out I will wait until end of august and bring them back in my luggage from the uk.

I have a sewing machine so I imagine I can fix any label I want on it, they all float the same (maybe not after i've sewed holes in them)
Old 06-05-2013
Rubato

It doesn't matter if it is TC approved or not, you can wear what you want. The boat however, needs to have the right number of TC approved life jackets on board for the crew....
Old 06-05-2013

I have 7 keyhole lifejackets stuffed in the bow under the V-berth for this very reason.
Ultraman II - Ross 930 #69307
Old 06-05-2013

Functionally, it does not matter.

But I am not comfortable with the idea of being the crew member that causes the boat to fail safety inspection after Straits becasue my lifejacket is identical in all respects to my crew-mates, except for the label.
Old 06-05-2013
The Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by set321go View Post
Hello,

I get a massive discount on a spinlock PFD because I am an RYA instructor, I have spoken to them and they are able to send from their NA warehouse which is in the US.

Does anyone know what import duty I will need to pay? I found some documents that said it was 18% and some that said 0% if it came from the US (quite a big difference). Anyone have any experience? Obviously I will have tax on top of that as well.
Your correct, the duty is a full $18%. Plus Dangerous Goods shipping charges. because of the co2 canister (Some will say they are not DG...Trust me they are.) Plus customs clearence charges. Your better off going to a local dealer to purchase. There are deals out there to be had.