border
Home      Register      Show Groups      Photos      Videos     

SailingX > Yacht Club > Members / Teams

Notices

Members / Teams Introduction thread

Old 08-26-2013

Default ON THE SUBJECT OF CREW POACHING

Two years ago I undertook a campaign to teach a buncha girls who had never been on a sailboat before to learn how to race. From scratch. A full boat of rookies. Tough undertaking. It was chaos up until recently, and even now, in any kind of wind + 10kts, it reverts to chaos.

It has been a very fun but also a very stressful experience for everyone. Teaching type-A women how to race and balancing the friendship/competitive dynamic is not an easy task.

Sailing has changed their lives and opened up a whole new world of skills, friends, partners and life experiences.

We are finally starting to improve....moving from DFL very slowly up the rankings. I have done everything from spending $ on a private coach to flying my dad from the east coast to help teach.

We are now at a point where things are starting to gel and the girls (and my helming) are improving.

I would be ever so grateful if the skippers trying to poach my crew for deep cove and Thursday night racing would please F*CK OFF.

Sweet talking my girls and telling them to come sail with a "winning boat" are below the belt and, if successful, you will dismantle our crew and Maritime Diva will not race. If you truly want to help "improve their skills" come race with us on a Thursday night and impart your knowledge.

Try training your own crew - it will hopefully provide more loyalty from your team while also bringing more people into the sailing community.

Respectfully,
Kate
http://www.maritimediva.com/adventures.html

Last edited by maritime diva; 08-27-2013 at 04:23 AM.
Old 08-26-2013

Hear Hear!

Though I would think anyone who has actually met Kate would want to stay on her good side!
Old 08-26-2013

+1000

Well said, you don't deserve this sort of nonsense (well, no one does actually). Unfortunately, due to the difficulty of finding crew these days, I can see how it can be tempting to some to pull this sort of stunt - but please, knock it off.
Old 08-26-2013

Send a message via MSN to ShaneA Send a message via Skype™ to ShaneA

Kate, I feel your pain getting a rookie crew going. I struggle just to get 4 on board most races when I should have 6+.

Poaching crew is really underhanded. I'd only invite crew out from other boats if that boat isn't going to be racing.
Skipper - s/v "Talisman" Santana 30/30 sail #77600
Old 08-26-2013

I AGREE!!!

I'm in the incredibly fortunate position to have a great and reliable crew. I hate it when other boats try to steal them!

For the Polar Bear Series I often put my more experienced crew on rookie boats in exchange for newbie crew from the rookie boats. I so often have to explain that I would like to take my crew back for the bigger events... I've actually had a skipper or two quite angry with me!

Sigh... first world problems I guess...
Old 08-26-2013

Kate if you weren't so terrible, always in a bad mood, and listened to anyone including your coach you might not have had that problem. Not to mention that good portions of your crew have been sailing on lots of other boats in the last year and a half or came to the Diva with a lots of experience. Take some credit for yourself and stop acting like a child.
Old 08-26-2013

K... I'm ready!
Old 08-26-2013

Good one Andrew Silversides.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Climber View Post
Kate if you weren't so terrible, always in a bad mood, and listened to anyone including your coach you might not have had that problem. Not to mention that good portions of your crew have been sailing on lots of other boats in the last year and a half or came to the Diva with a lots of experience. Take some credit for yourself and stop acting like a child.
http://www.maritimediva.com/adventures.html
Old 08-26-2013

I had to say something. It's not personal and you have to take some credit for your actions.
Old 08-26-2013

Umm ... I poach eggs. Does that make me bad?