Home      Register      Show Groups      Photos      Videos     

SailingX > Yacht Club > Members / Teams

Notices

Members / Teams Introduction thread

Old 09-08-2013

I very much agree - well said!

CdM
Old 09-08-2013

My crew and boat partners ( sons ) are hoping to be poached by M Diva!
Old 09-10-2013

I have crew available for poaching for Howe Sound regatta I won't be able to race it...... Skills: Trimming and foredeck-dance parties.
http://www.maritimediva.com/adventures.html
Old 09-10-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by maritime diva View Post
I have crew available for poaching for Howe Sound regatta I won't be able to race it...... Skills: Trimming and foredeck-dance parties.
Blackheart is presently clue er crewless but would like to race. If you would like to send your entire crew over, we can go out and play!
Old 09-10-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackheart View Post
Blackheart is presently clue er crewless but would like to race. If you would like to send your entire crew over, we can go out and play!
P.S.
Admiral says I have to promise to send them back after the regatta
Old 09-12-2013

Having raced as both crew and skipper for a couple of decades now; I think I would agree with Gordo on crew poaching.

But back when I was crew... I made it a point to try and race on a large number of different boats to get experience. Each boat I raced on gave me lessons of what to do or more often, what not to do. And yes, a lot of skippers felt that if you raced on the boat once you had made a commitment for life.

I remember complaining to a 'skipper' friend of mine about the quality of the guys I was sailing with. His response was, "It sounds like you should buy your own boat".

For the last 10 years I have sailed my boat with moderate success... sometimes being a winner and sometimes thinking that I could have been a contender. I have had crew come and go. Sometimes the chemistry wasn't there, sometimes my expectations are too high, sometimes the crew got too good for my boat, and sometimes they moved on with their life, and sometimes they were poached.

Currently, I have a fabulous crew that is intelligent and has great team spirit and I have more fun sailing now than I ever have had. I still have high expectations and sometimes get told where to shove them, which is fine.

Bottom line. I continue sailing because I love sailing and if all my crew was poached I would probably continue in the manner of Trev, racing by myself.
Maritime Diva.... don't worry, if your crew can be poached; you are better off with someone else or sailing short crewed. Find crew that you have fun with and build on that.
Old 09-13-2013

I sure hope Oprah is watching this thread...