border
Home      Register      Show Groups      Photos      Videos     

SailingX > Yacht Club > Members / Teams

Notices

Members / Teams Introduction thread

Old 10-05-2015

Send a message via Skype™ to frfletch
Default VARC Scoring

Regarding Div 3, and perhaps others, I was doing some checking on the assigned points for each boat in various races on the Distance Series and I think I am finding some wrongly assigned numbers. My understanding of the "high point" scoring using the US Sailing guidelines is that a yacht's score for a race is based on a percentage of boats competing and how many boats the subject yacht defeated. On that basis, I suppose if in a race with 11 yachts and one was 2nd place, then he defeated 9 yachts (9/11=.818 points rounded up to .82). Some of the VARC scoring is based on this. On the other hand, some are based on the 2nd place yacht having defeated 10 yachts and so were awarded a higher score, such as (10/11=.909 points rounded up to .91). Perhaps I'm daft, but I can't apply my understanding of the scoring formula and come up with the same number of points that VARC has come up with. Simon, can you check this?
Old 10-05-2015

Please email Gunnar if you have any questions. He doesn't reply here to my knowledge. It is best to ask him specific questions like that as he is scoring spreadsheet guru of VARC
Old 10-05-2015

My understanding is that boats that were dnf or ret are not included in the formulae.

So this can have a big effect on some events (unless you are 1st)
Old 10-05-2015

My understanding is that you take the number of boats in the race, and divide 1 (the winning boat's score) by this number.

So with 11 boats, 1/11 = 0.09

The first-place boat gets 1.0
The last place boat gets 0.09

Everyone else gets 0.09 + (0.09 x # of boats behind) [How's that for complicating the math? LOL]

So the scoring looks like this:
1 = 1.00
2 = 0.90
3 = 0.81
4 = 0.72
5 = 0.63
6 = 0.54
7 = 0.45
8 = 0.36
9 = 0.27
10 =0.18
11 =0.09

If there's scoring that appears inconsistent with this method, let me know which results appear wrong and I'll have a look - if I can't explain it or figure it out for you I'll check with the VARC scorer.

(Southern Straits excepted, because it interleaves the Short Course and Medium Course boats together for Div 3, and also the Medium Course results are currently under revision due to a ratings break issue.)
Old 10-06-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven View Post
My understanding is that boats that were dnf or ret are not included in the formulae.

So this can have a big effect on some events (unless you are 1st)
A lesson learned during last years FRL race. Stick it out for over 12 hours when a fleet of over a dozen boats behind you retires... congrats you get 0.5 for second when only 2 boats finish.

Never again.
Old 10-06-2015

ouch - that is just wrong!
Old 10-07-2015

We used this system in the early 80s for Saltspring Island club racing. There's a reason that everybody eventually returns to the low point system. But that aside, high-point should include dnf/ret as boats that are beaten by those who finish.
Old 10-07-2015

Send a message via Skype™ to frfletch

Simon,
I have not checked all scores. Voila is simple because she raced only three distance races. At Collingwood Channel race there were 14 boats in Div 3 with results. Voila was 2nd and awarded .93 points which matches with your formula. Voila was also 2nd at SOAR with 13 boats with results and was awarded .87 points which your formula does not support. With your formula applied, it should have been .92 points.

I haven't checked other boats, but it could be that other errors exist, unless my calculations are wrong regarding Voila and SOAR.
Old 10-07-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShawMac View Post
A lesson learned during last years FRL race. Stick it out for over 12 hours when a fleet of over a dozen boats behind you retires...
*Cough* and some of us who were ahead of you retired too *cough*
Old 10-07-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by frfletch View Post
Simon,
I have not checked all scores. Voila is simple because she raced only three distance races. At Collingwood Channel race there were 14 boats in Div 3 with results. Voila was 2nd and awarded .93 points which matches with your formula. Voila was also 2nd at SOAR with 13 boats with results and was awarded .87 points which your formula does not support. With your formula applied, it should have been .92 points.

I haven't checked other boats, but it could be that other errors exist, unless my calculations are wrong regarding Voila and SOAR.
Frank, it doesn't matter either way. You already won the VARC Div 3 Distance Series... Congratulations!!!

http://www.varc.bc.ca/wp-content/upl...s-15-10-05.pdf
Ultraman II - Ross 930 #69307