border
Home      Register      Show Groups      Photos      Videos     

SailingX > Yacht Club > Dock talk

Notices

Dock talk General sailing chat

Old 04-08-2014

Default Local Anomolies

It was recently suggested that we go off on tangents in the chat box a bit too often, when discussing local boats with history, or weird stuff that comes up for sale within buying range. So, this thread will hopefully record some of the 'finds' spat out by Guar, Maxx, Manana, myself, or anyone else who has something to contribute. Just make sure it is actually something cool and not a bunch of junk. (sometimes junk is cool!)
Old 04-08-2014

This one is, I think, the old Quick Brown Fox, tall rig Kirby 30. Cheap, only $6k on Craigslist:

I have a much loved Kirby 30 with a 2006 yamaha 9.9 O/B, propane heater & bbq, new upholstery,paint & wood done in side, has VHF,sterio,TV & 1000W inverter as well an anchore,chain & line, sails are in great shape. price is OBO boat is at Kannaka dock Ganges until the end of April
Attached Images
File Type: jpg K30-1.jpg (26.5 KB, 78 views)
File Type: jpg K30-2.jpg (31.6 KB, 68 views)
Old 04-08-2014

This Kiwi 21 was discussed at lenght last week, though we figured it is probably not all that fast. A Mini-tonner perhaps:

Looking for a Spring or Summer project? Look no further. This boat has lots of potential as a day sailer or for shorter trips. The inside is empty making it very fast and leaving you the opportunity to what you please. Currently it is on land near Swartz bay and due to some the circumstances it needs to be gone.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Kiwi24.jpg (16.0 KB, 59 views)
Old 04-08-2014

Here's the ad for the Hustler SJ 30 we discussed a few weeks ago.

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-sailboat/vict...ationFlag=true

Apparently it is still for sale as I finally got a voice message from the owner a few days ago. He said he is living in the maritimes and the boat has been sitting untouched for 5 years, so I suspect very green looking at best. Must be a different blue boat Stu was saying was in a trailer at RVic. I'm likely the only person nuts enough to consider resurrecting her from the dead, but if someone else is willing to take on a project like this then go for it because I hate to see boats like this end up in a landfill.

I kind of view this as a cheap hull & deck kit with keel/ballast, spars and likely some usable deck hardware. These boats have a race oriented interior. Narrow settee and pilot berths, awkward quarter berths. I would treat the interior as a blank slate and would gut the interior, relocate bulkheads and convert to sweptback rig. Raise jib hounds and go with a lapper rather than genoa.

These were built by Oyster in the UK and are very well constructed from what I understand. I believe they are solid glass with a fairly massive array of stringers. If a balsa deck, that could be an issue, but that is true with any older boat I suppose. I've always liked Jones' designs, although some find them appalling. This is certainly one of his more conservative IOR designs.

Since the ad only contains a small photo of a sistership pulled from a UK ad, I've included a couple better ones of sisterships.

One issue I have would be getting a boat with no engine across the strait and up the Fraser to haul out at a place like Shelter Island.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Misjif 2.jpg (226.1 KB, 42 views)
File Type: jpg Misjif 4.jpg (339.8 KB, 49 views)
File Type: jpg SJ30 2.jpg (29.8 KB, 43 views)

Last edited by guar; 04-08-2014 at 12:51 PM. Reason: New Photos
Old 04-08-2014

Wilderness 40 down the coast caught my eye this week. I suspect this is the only one with an open transom. Looks nice, not so sure about the headroom situation.

1984 Wilderness 40.7 bags of sails, yanmar 3GM mid nineties less than 400 hours, Harken winches, hardware and traveller. Great shape. Performance cruiser.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg W40-1.jpg (41.1 KB, 81 views)
File Type: jpg W40-2.jpg (38.0 KB, 76 views)
File Type: jpg W40-3.jpg (21.8 KB, 74 views)
Old 04-09-2014

schnick - tell me you put down $14,9 and there is a one design fleet coming to PNW!

http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1985.../United-States

Sale Pending!!
Old 04-09-2014

No I talked to this broker the day the offer went in, it is a local guy paying $13,500. The inside of the boat is thrashed and the broker had to replace most of the exhaust system just to do a sea trial. The outside looks quite nice though - weird.
Old 04-09-2014

Found this on Seattle CL. Advertised as a Ranger 28, but looks nothing like any Ranger 28 I've seen. Any ideas what it is?

http://seattle.craigslist.org/skc/boa/4412941767.html
Old 04-09-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by guar View Post
Found this on Seattle CL. Advertised as a Ranger 28, but looks nothing like any Ranger 28 I've seen. Any ideas what it is?

http://seattle.craigslist.org/skc/boa/4412941767.html
Looks like an older Santana 30?
Old 04-09-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffJ View Post
schnick - tell me you put down $14,9 and there is a one design fleet coming to PNW!

http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1985.../United-States

Sale Pending!!
Wondering how a photo of a NY 36 got added to the gallery. Oddly enough, it looks like the same grainy photo that was used to advertise a local NY 36 several years ago. You'd think if they're gonna use file photos, they would at least use decent ones.