border
Home      Register      Show Groups      Photos      Videos     

SailingX > Yacht Club > Dock talk

Notices

Dock talk General sailing chat

Old 04-09-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by guar View Post
Found this on Seattle CL. Advertised as a Ranger 28, but looks nothing like any Ranger 28 I've seen. Any ideas what it is?

http://seattle.craigslist.org/skc/boa/4412941767.html
This is a Ranger 28 - Kent Washington Ranger, not the Mull kind. It is actually the hull of the Choate CF27 (the old blue Manana) with a different deck plunked on top. Not a bad boat. Not sure if the foils stayed the same, I have seen Schumacher credited with this design in a few places...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg R28-1.jpg (22.9 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg R28-2.jpg (31.0 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg r28-3.jpg (18.3 KB, 21 views)
Old 04-09-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Day4Kid View Post
Looks like an older Santana 30?
No, the transom is much different. This looks like a late 70's early 80's IOR style reverse transom. Transom reminds me most of a CF27, but it's not. Cabin and layout are different and looks like a MH rig.
Old 04-09-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schnick View Post
This is a Ranger 28 - Kent Washington Ranger, not the Mull kind. It is actually the hull of the Choate CF27 (the old blue Manana) with a different deck plunked on top. Not a bad boat. Not sure if the foils stayed the same, I have seen Schumacher credited with this design in a few places...
Well that explains it. I was wondering if it was the OTHER Ranger company, but couldn't find any reference to it in a quick Google search.

Edit: found it on Sailboatdata.com. Credited as Kaufmann/Schumacher. Looks to weigh about 600 lbs more than the CF 27 (depending on how much you want to rely on published displacements) and slightly smaller fractional rig. As a result, published D/L ratio higher than the CF 27 and SA/D lower (and in this case, SA/D is actually relevant). So likely a bit slower than the CF27. PHRF maybe in the 165-175 range?
Old 04-09-2014

I thought they had the same rig as the CF27, but you never know. The interior looks heavier, all liner pans and stuff. That one in the ad has had the galley removed by chainsaw I think.
Old 04-09-2014

Looks to be the same rig, but main is a touch smaller in both dimensions. Also, the Ranger 8.5 has a Yanmar IB, which accounts for some of the weight gain, plus more drag than the OB setup on the C27
Old 04-09-2014

Much like boats such as the San Juan 34, I think this was part of a 'last gasp' of the PNW boat building industry - no money left for new tooling, so a few desperate attempts were made at relaunching models from elsewhere while the companies were treading water.
Old 04-09-2014

Nifty looking O29 for sale in SoCal that it looks like the price has been just dropped significantly on (I think they were asking high $20k range - now $15k). Wondering how the outboard is attached - a removable flip up OB bracket?

http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1986...s#.U0WQNOlOXIV

Interestingly (for me anyways), one of the photos in the gallery has the Davo 30 (MORC-Maxi) now in Seattle in it.
Old 04-09-2014
Supporting Member

The CF27 knock-off was known as a Ranger 8.5. Same foils, rig dimensions varied somewhat. Cleaner interior with the frp liner. And of course the diesel...

The weight of the inboard would be better positioned. The original Slippery When Wet had a small, gas powered, inboard that was barely able to push it along. Much smoother boat in sea way compared to the outboard out back.
Old 04-11-2014

Beneteau One ton - $30k in California. I think the toilet jammed in the front 2 feet of the boat is funny. Rodeo toilet!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BOT-1.jpg (35.9 KB, 58 views)
File Type: jpg BOT-2.jpg (46.1 KB, 56 views)
File Type: jpg BOT-3.jpg (29.8 KB, 65 views)
File Type: jpg BOT-4.jpg (1.3 KB, 172 views)
File Type: jpg BOT-5.jpg (9.9 KB, 52 views)
Old 04-11-2014

It would certainly be a daunting task to stay planted on that thing out at Swiftsure Bank.

Question about the berth cushions cuz I've seen them on other French boats, are they 1 piece or a bunch of cushion tubes stacked next to each other. How practical/comfortable are they?