border
Home      Register      Show Groups      Photos      Videos     

SailingX > Yacht Club > Dock talk

Notices

Dock talk General sailing chat

Old 04-10-2015

We used to cruise for 2-3 weeks at a time each summer. Between 2 boats we had 4 adults, 3 kids, no pets thank god, 2 sailing dinghies, one zodiac, and some other toys.

The boats were a Martin 242 in stock trim, and a Viking 28 which had full slithering headroom, a toilet that required total disassembly of the V-berth, and only slept 3. My best friend's little sister basically learned toilet training in the red bucket on the 242 I think. We never had a dodger, heater, oven, running water, hot water, or even a particularly reliable outboard on the Viking.

I can't imagine that cruising for a week on the Bomb 7.6/25 would present all that many challenges.
Old 04-10-2015

It all depends on the definition of 'cruise'. I used to spend 5 or so days at a time with my dad and brother on the SJ21 as a pre-teen. Propane camp stove in the cockpit, raise the boom and put a tent over it in the rain and there's actually some decent space.

In contrast, my wife includes 'a living-room' among the required features of a vessel to cruise the islands. Room service is optional but recommended.
Old 04-10-2015

Speaking of local anomalies, I saw yesterday at Oak Bay Marina a Schock 35 that was languishing in a state of disrepair. It had a nice navy-blue gelcoat. The deck was covered in mould, the sails were lashed on and uncovered (apparently for some time) the lines were all dark and rotting. The name on the transom is Ella, and it was labelled RVYC Vancouver.

Anybody know anything? It looked like potentially a really nice boat under all the mould and rotting lines.
Old 04-10-2015

Used to be at Royal Van a few years ago. Never saw it race or even leave the dock. Would like to see it sailing for sure! Pipeline is back in the water at Thunderbird - weren't interested in selling the boat a year ago, yet to see it out sailing. Why on earth would you buy one of these boats and never go racing?
Old 04-10-2015

Pipeline has the same owners as Kracken, both of which are moored at T-Bird. Rumour has it Pipeline will be moved to their cottage during the summer
Old 04-13-2015

Default 7K Martin 32

This one's been in here before.

Price seems pretty decent.

http://vancouver.craigslist.ca/van/boa/4976285922.html

Or you could get a fixer-upper Pearson 36 for slightly less coin:

http://vancouver.craigslist.ca/van/boa/4976279109.html
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Martin32 7K.jpg (166.8 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg Pearson 36 6K.jpg (118.7 KB, 6 views)
Old 04-13-2015

Check out this baby!

EDIT - Sorry I misread the thread title! I thought it said "Local Anemones"...
Old 04-14-2015

Maybe a bit steep but Canadian dollars and fits right in the busiest fleet in town..

http://kelowna.craigslist.ca/boa/4971495108.html

Attached Images
File Type: jpg J30.jpg (22.2 KB, 68 views)
Old 04-14-2015

Way too steep. There's a J29 FROB in Victoria for just-over half that price. Yes, less cruising ability, but a much better sailing boat and with direct competition in Vancouver. With no shipping fees to get over the Coquihalla.
Old 04-14-2015

I would argue there is a better / tighter racing fleet in Div 3 around the J/30 right now, and it is a good(er) cruising boat. I still think it should be $5k cheaper, but the boat sails much closer to the two HF31s, the two to four Santana 3030s, the Deep Cove J30 and the Squamish J30, and all the Laser 28s, vs the J/29 that gets the two other J29s and XS to play with?