border
Home      Register      Show Groups      Photos      Videos     

SailingX > Yacht Club > Dock talk

Notices

Dock talk General sailing chat

Old 04-14-2015

They are fantastic boats! The price seems a bit high, but if it's got a good sail inventory and the engine is serviceable it could be an good deal!

I was just looking at the old Foxhound. Sad to see it rotting away. I doubt it will ever go back in the water.
Old 04-14-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schnick View Post
Maybe a bit steep but Canadian dollars ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Day4Kid View Post
The price seems a bit high...
It's funny, you might imagine that out in the sticks prices would be lower due to less demand, but often -- especially with boats and cars -- I find the prices are actually comparatively high because there's less immediate local competition, and even something fairly run-of-the-mill can seem exotic and therefore valuable in Burgsville.
Old 04-14-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krikkitman View Post
It's funny, you might imagine that out in the sticks prices would be lower due to less demand, but often -- especially with boats and cars -- I find the prices are actually comparatively high because there's less immediate local competition, and even something fairly run-of-the-mill can seem exotic and therefore valuable in Burgsville.
I suspect the 3DL inventory and new mast doesn't hurt. I wonder if that's an awlgrip paint-job? Deal breaker for me!
Old 04-14-2015

I figure the 3DL inventory is the main strike against that boat.
Old 04-14-2015

Quote:
I would argue there is a better / tighter racing fleet in Div 3 around the J/30 right now, and it is a good(er) cruising boat. I still think it should be $5k cheaper, but the boat sails much closer to the two HF31s, the two to four Santana 3030s, the Deep Cove J30 and the Squamish J30, and all the Laser 28s, vs the J/29 that gets the two other J29s and XS to play with?
Good points. But having sailed both, I'd take the 29 any day. Obviously you can tell by now that I don't have kids.
Old 04-14-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubato View Post
Pipeline has the same owners as Kracken, both of which are moored at T-Bird. Rumour has it Pipeline will be moved to their cottage during the summer
Pipeline was delivered to Pender Harbour on the Sunday after Straits, by a Kracken team member for whom Straits alone, obviously wasn't enough

The irony is that Pipeline's dock is the pin end of the local start line. Wanna bet they take in a few of the local races? There's a great sailing community up there.

Pip
Old 04-15-2015

Send a message via MSN to Hamelyn

a friend of mine used to have a local J30..it never did well and he spent gobs of money on it (sails, bottom, laser aligned rudder and keel, etc). The boat always seemed slow. The Squamish J30 is surprisingly fast.... Definitely more cruiseable than a J29 but I'd still take the J29 for all around racing, especially around here.
Old 04-15-2015

Quote:
I figure the 3DL inventory is the main strike against that boat.
Apparently you're not a North 3DL fan?

Still, even if you don't care for them, it's a whole lot better than a pile of original baggy Dacron sails, no?
Old 04-15-2015

I would argue that statement IF they've been stored inside the boat for more than 4 years or so. Yet to see a second hand 3DL that wasn't totally shot after more than 2 years. The stuff we were buying for the Melges 32 out of the OD fleet was a false economy, and the 8 year old 3DL's that came with the boat and had been stored in a dark dry warehouse in Tahoe for 5 of those years were useless. If the sails are going to be more than a couple years old you really would prefer a panelled laminate product or even a dacron sail over the 3DLs most of the time.
Old 04-15-2015

Quote:
I would argue that statement IF they've been stored inside the boat for more than 4 years or so. Yet to see a second hand 3DL that wasn't totally shot after more than 2 years. The stuff we were buying for the Melges 32 out of the OD fleet was a false economy, and the 8 year old 3DL's that came with the boat and had been stored in a dark dry warehouse in Tahoe for 5 of those years were useless. If the sails are going to be more than a couple years old you really would prefer a panelled laminate product or even a dacron sail over the 3DLs most of the time.
Hmmm I'll weigh in with my own opinion in about four years then, I guess.