SailingX > Yacht Club > Dock talk

Notices

Dock talk General sailing chat

Old 05-07-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schnick View Post
I've always thought the outboard system on these boats was excellent also

https://plus.google.com/photos/10787...Ivc0t2QjLOVngE
If I were were to keep the OB on the Dash this is one of the setups I had visualized. Nice to see one actually built and in use.

Once of my concerns was just how much of a bend the control cables could withstand. From a few measurements I'm thinking it would be about 12" radius. Other concerns are the weight and length of the Yamaha T8 on the Dash now. 110 lb and 50 in height vs maybe 60 lb and 40 in for the one shown on the Bull.

Yeah I know, why not keep the existing setup? Aesthetics aside, it is a real pain trying to lift and tilt that T8 when you've threaded your body through the stern pulpit and hanging down trying to disengage the bracket locks to lift it then tilt it. No thanks. I couldn't imagine doing it in any sort of a seaway.

I suppose I could look at converting it to a short shaft which might eliminate the need to tilt the OB but then the prop wouldn't get deep enough in the water to drive it in anything other than flat water.
Old 05-07-2015

Might be a lot of work but the Schock 40 used the outboard motor well similar to the Cal 20.
Old 05-07-2015

Thanks Raven. I'll have to go down to Burrard and check out some of the Cal 20's. Not sure how the Cal 20's are arranged - the ones I recall seeing were mostly transom mount. Never saw the Schock 40 arrangement. I don't think I would go with the transom notch like they have in the Cal 25s though.
Old 05-07-2015

The Schock 40 setup was roughly the same as the Melges 32 setup. Not to be confused with the FT10 setup. More like a T-bird well at the front of the cockpit on centerline.

The effort in retrofitting that is probably higher than putting in a diesel.

The slickest ones that I like are the fore and aft track mounted setups on open transom boats. Tilt, then slide forward at an angle that puts the powerhead roughly beside the rudder post, no lifting required.
Old 05-07-2015

I suspect the Cal 20 sailors just agreed to mount the outboard on the transom and not bother with their wells any more. But it would be a lot of work to build.
Old 05-07-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schnick View Post
The Schock 40 setup was roughly the same as the Melges 32 setup. Not to be confused with the FT10 setup. More like a T-bird well at the front of the cockpit on centerline.

The effort in retrofitting that is probably higher than putting in a diesel.

The slickest ones that I like are the fore and aft track mounted setups on open transom boats. Tilt, then slide forward at an angle that puts the powerhead roughly beside the rudder post, no lifting required.
I haven't seen the Melges 32 setup, but I notice they have that SOCA vari rudder or whatever it was called, so I'm wondering if the Melges 32 well setup is similar to the SOCA one used on the Hendo.

The guys who have Karma built what they called a Melges 32 setup here: http://www.pressure-drop.us/forums/c...ic-Northwest-6 They say they had a lot of issues with it with regards to the engine drowning.
Old 05-07-2015

It is a SOCA system but not like the Hendo. Hendo and FT10 are the same concept. The Schock and M32 are really like the Tbird or HF27 well, just forward and on centerline, so you can imagine the tendency to have the waterline in the well be quite high up.

If I was doing a Dash retrofit, and it was too late to keep the inboard, I'd certainly blow out the transom and then it might be pretty tempting to do this, depending if it is limited by engine size. The Yamaha 8 would probalby work:

Attached Images
File Type: jpg outboard.jpg (136.2 KB, 72 views)
Old 05-07-2015

Nifty setup but how the heck would you sail with the outboard lying in the cockpit. Or is it removed from the track and stowed down below? OK if it is a 5 hp 2 stroke on a sportboat. No way that could be done with a 110 lb OB. Now if you could have it sliding inside a huge watertight or self draining MOB tube type of arrangement under the seats
Old 05-07-2015

Send a message via MSN to ShaneA Send a message via Skype™ to ShaneA

Cheekee Monkee had that same kind of outboard track when she was stretched from 31' to 33'. It worked really well, but it sure helps if you've got a long cockpit.

Skipper - s/v "Talisman" Santana 30/30 sail #77600
Old 05-08-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by guar View Post
Thanks Raven. I'll have to go down to Burrard and check out some of the Cal 20's.
All the racing Cal 20s at Burrard have their outboards transom mounted, the bottom of the motor well has a removable unsealed plug so there is less drag and less water splashing into the cockpit.

When I taught on Cooper's boats they used the motor well, made more sense for instructing new sailors, controls were closer and it behaved more like an inboard for docking lessons but the 2-strokes were that much louder and smokey when right next to you in the cockpit.

Feel free to climb on Osiris if you want to take a close look, the cover on the top of the well is removable.