border
Home      Register      Show Groups      Photos      Videos     

SailingX > Yacht Club > Dock talk

Notices

Dock talk General sailing chat

Old 05-08-2015

Send a message via MSN to Hamelyn

Guar, a friend of mine has BlackFly (theoretically one of the last Dashs built, custom even). Its got an open transom and what I always considered to be a very cool OB setup. His is mounted on vertical tracks on the transom, port side. A block and tackle arrangement lifts the OB up and down. He uses a Yamaha 8 I think. I have asked him to take pics of the setup and I will post once I get them (boat is in Ontario now).

R
Old 05-08-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen C. View Post
All the racing Cal 20s at Burrard have their outboards transom mounted, the bottom of the motor well has a removable unsealed plug so there is less drag and less water splashing into the cockpit.

When I taught on Cooper's boats they used the motor well, made more sense for instructing new sailors, controls were closer and it behaved more like an inboard for docking lessons but the 2-strokes were that much louder and smokey when right next to you in the cockpit.

Feel free to climb on Osiris if you want to take a close look, the cover on the top of the well is removable.
Before I take a look, is the Cal 20 arrangement anything like the one in this photo, which is the HF27 setup.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMGP1888.JPG (257.2 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg IMGP1890.JPG (220.9 KB, 13 views)
Old 05-08-2015

That is the same setup that my Tbird had. Damn door never shut properly, always had gallons of water in there!
Old 05-08-2015

back on topic, speaking of real local 'anomalies', saw this puppy out of the water at next to a few other cool sleds at Trites this week. Maximum weirdness.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20150507_124457.jpg (627.4 KB, 98 views)
Old 05-08-2015

I had a walk through tour of this boat in the early 90s while it was tied up at FCYC, prior to a VicMaui I think. It had a bathtub molded into the port/aft quarter berth area if I recall.
Old 05-08-2015

Send a message via Skype™ to Drizzie

Would you look at that swivel seat!
Old 05-08-2015

I worked on the kite for that thing back int he 90's. No way were we able to spread the whole thing out on the loft floor.

Crazy boat. Twists like a mo-fo. No way would I get on that for V-M. But I hear it motors at 9 knots.
Old 05-08-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by J33 View Post
That is the same setup that my Tbird had. Damn door never shut properly, always had gallons of water in there!
Someone drilled about a 1" dia hole in the bottom of the well on guar - I assumed this was meant to drain the water from the well.. Ended up filling that in again.

Actually, the well arrangement on guar worked fairly well except:
- I had to hang my body over the lip on the well to reach the bottom and cracked my ribs one time when the boat started bouncing from the wake of a passing powerboat
- the trap door should have been a bit wider. it was okay when the boat had the 5 hp Merc with tiny prop. but with the Honda or Yamaha 6 with bigger props the prop sometimes hung up on the opening requiring the engine to be rotated and when that didn`t didn't work I'd have to loosen and lift the engine off the bracket and slide it over a half inch or so.

I would note that Caliente has a slick setup with a self latching lock. Basically the innards of a door handle, but in SS. guar being the prototype had a more primitive look to the whole well arrangement which overall is much nicer on Caliente
Old 05-08-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by henryr View Post
Twists like a mo-fo.
Those Mac 65s were pretty pretty much the definition of a banana boat. Painfully slow upwind, or at least the one we raced against was back in the 80`s. Destroyed it on a Pet35 upwind in about 10 knots sailing across the straits. Couldn`t point worth a darn which you`d expect but wasn`t sailing through the water that much quicker than the Peterson which did kind of surprise me.
Old 05-08-2015

There was one moored at Point Roberts up until it recently sold. They were asking $229K for it, I can't believe that it sold....