border
Home      Register      Show Groups      Photos      Videos     

SailingX > Yacht Club > Crew Pool

Notices

Old 11-28-2014

Default Snowflake

If anyone is looking for an extra body for Snowflake this weekend please PM me. Thx, Karen
Old 12-14-2014

Another awesome snowflake race - sunny skies and building outflow ..... Check and double check ....gorgeous day on the water
Old 12-15-2014

I hope that the person who went overboard after rounding the top mark is doing ok. Just a reminder to make sure all of your safety gear is in shape and that you know how to use it!
Old 12-15-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rb_rangers7 View Post
I hope that the person who went overboard after rounding the top mark is doing ok. Just a reminder to make sure all of your safety gear is in shape and that you know how to use it!
Saw him after the race in the club. Was doing fine. Apparently there were two MOBs, anyone have any details on the second one?

Good point on the safety gear. Wouldn't have wanted to be swimming without a life-jacket yesterday, that's for sure! Might prompt a few skippers to practice their life-sling retrieval procedure. Dolce was under full chute and moving which, in the daylight, is the worst case scenario for MOB.
Old 12-15-2014

Dolce skipper Cedric here- yes pretty scary having Scottie our mast man go over board. Can't really blame the weather completely, it seems he simply tripped moving aft on the leeward side, about midship. He was wearing his brand new spinlock deck vest with leg straps and it did NOT INFLATE in spite of being fully emerged. Scottie was in the water for 10 minutes but said he felt buoyant and didn't think to pull the rip cord or manually inflate because he thought it was inflated.
Thanks to the quick action of the rc (Cole and Andre) in the tender, they were on it and got to him quickly. Scottie had a hold of the sling, which has a very long line on it. Thank you also to fortissimo and Chris Ladd and crew who turned to help us. I believe there was another boat but did not catch the vessel name.
We checked the deck vest afterwards and it was charged and ready to deploy, expiring in 2019. I'm going to talk to spinlock to see what might have happened. If anyone has had a similar thing happen I would appreciate hearing about it. A terrific day nonetheless thank you wvyc and the RC- Very memorable.
Old 12-15-2014

Yikes. I just bought a spinlock 5d. They have to be submerged 10 cm to deploy. But if your mast guy didn't get enough water falling off in 30 kts under full kite then what would activate it? Glad he's okay Ced, at first we were just mad you were in front of us... Mark. Fortissimo.
Old 12-15-2014

Hi Mark- thanks for being there. I'm hoping it was a freak occurrence with the desk vest. I'll keep you posted. Cb
Old 12-16-2014

On the mark boat we read the wind speed at the weather mark around 15-17kn shortly before it happened so there was a good bit of wind Sunday. Thanks to Midsummer for calling in the MOB and Dolce and Scotties cooperation and help. Definitely made it a lot easier to help.

We were a little surprised as well when we came up to Scotties that the lifejacket wasn`t inflated but he was pretty buoyant nonetheless. The power from Dolce pulling the lifesling forward pulled him underwater a few times and once he let go of the lifesling it was much easier to pull him into our boat. Low consequence overall on the day but a good reminder that it can happen anytime and to be ready for when it does.

Good to see you were ok Scottie!

Andrew
Old 12-16-2014

Also if anyone has details of that second man overboard I`d be keen to hear what happened
Old 12-16-2014

Very keen to hear about the PFD. Please let us know what you find out Cedric. I normally wear a Salus dingy vest, no inflation=no problem. Pretty sketched about switching back to something that requires maintenance and 'usually' works. Good lesson for us all last weekend, we'll take quite a few things away from that.