border
Home      Register      Show Groups      Photos      Videos     

SailingX > Yacht Club > Crew Pool

Notices

Old 12-16-2014

Gracie also saw it happen and tacked over towards Dolce immediately to keep extra eyes on him. We were getting ready to drop sail and get the motor running when RC showed up so we decided not to put another heavy boat in the mix and get in the way of RC. Great job by everyone involved.
Old 12-16-2014

Default Oh no I feel a rant coming on!

+1 for the Salus vest!

I know Kinitec will disagree with me, but the SAS course did nothing but add to my distrust for the inflatable PFDs. In our course 5 or so malfunctioned and didn't inflate, and two more would only inflate once the person was a few feet under water. I know there are arguments of buoyancy but:
  1. I would rather have something slightly less buoyant that works 100% of the time, than something that is more buoyant and works 70% of the time.
  2. While on paper the inflatables have more buoyancy it seems that the first thing you have to do is let a bunch of air out of your PFD to be able to be maneuverable in it. I would be interested to know how much positive flotation an inflatable PFD has once the person in the water has deflated it half way in order to be able to move around.
Having said all this - Good on everyone for such a quick recovery, and good on Cedric and his crew for actually wearing PFDs! That must have been a frightening few minutes for everyone involved!
Old 12-16-2014
Supporting Member

Those sort of inflate PDFs are dangerous. We had a man overboard in San Fran some years ago and his did not inflate. If they do by chance inflate you are stuck on your back not being able to swim. They hang in the way when you are sailing getting in the way. Do yourself a favor and get a slim lifejacket with 5 kgs of flotation ( the minimum allowed at the Olympics ). I have two silva ones that have the harness built in. Do they meet some "standard" developed by lawyers ?? Nor will they keep my head above water if I'm knocked out,
if 100 people fall overboard how many are knocked out??? If your hit hard enough to be knocked out your most likes dead. Heavy bulky gear and boots increase your chances of going over AND severely diminish your ability to swim .

On that I never tie the jack lines to the transom. Why?? Because if the boat broaches and you go over you are now dragging behind the boat. I knowmof a guy who drowned in San Fran when they broached he was washed overboard and could not be brought in before he drowned. That would be a friggen sobering day..... Imagine being the guy to tell his or her family....... I would rather die.
Old 12-16-2014

We're following up on it now. Josh Simmons on our boat knows the Spinlock rep and is going to put a call in, it will take a few days. At this point all I know is that the vest was charged (green indicator showing) and brand new, with an expiry in 2019. Almost our entire crew has them- we have at least 10 of them on board- we bought them because we understood they were the very best out there. I really like spinlock's quality and thoughtful design. We're going to ask the rep for an explanation, when I find out more I'll post it. CB
Old 12-16-2014

Yep I cut the 'lifejacket' part off my last couple of Mustang Auto's a couple years ago - the harness part of those is quite nice and I wear that, when necessary, under my dinghy PFDs. I have a Gul one that is Canadian approved and a West Marine one that is nicer but only US approved (which is still more than the Spinlock can say). They keep me nice and toasty in the winter and don't seem much worse than an inflatable in summer - maybe a bit of 'sweaty back' on the hot days. I tried both, as well as an inflatable in the SAS course, and although I understand the arguments in favour of inflatable, the dinghy ones worked a hell of a lot better in the water while conscious for sure.
Old 12-16-2014

Always a sobering day when someone goes into the water.

We were just about to hoist when we saw what first appeared to be a "dead head" in the water. One crew realized it was a person just as we past him about 20 meters away. It took us a 2-3 minutes to round up and tack back to the MOB and we got there just as Dolce and an RC boat arrived. We stayed until things looked to be under control. Wind conditions at the time had been in the high twenties with puffs into the thirties. Our crew where all wearing PFD's with only one using an inflatable. I generally wear a full Mustang offshore vest for winter sailing and a Salus when its warmer.

We talked about possible improvements to our response after the event and concluded we could have tossed a horseshoe ring as we went by the MOB.
Old 12-16-2014

Canting; Very good point and I totally agree with this practical approach.
I think the main reason we got the spinlocks is that they are approved for inshore long distance racing. Strobe, whistles, tethers and leg straps are all requirements. For instance, the race committee checked every one of our lifejackets after Southern Straights this year. Incidentally, they are NOT approved by the coast guard of Boatsafe BC.

Bottom line is that we need to be confident they work 100% of the time, and if there's any doubt, we are better off relying on solid flotation jackets as you suggest. I'm hoping this was somehow user error as we've invested quite a bit in these deckvests.
Old 12-16-2014

Send a message via Skype™ to frfletch

If one reads the account of the disastrous Sidney-Hobart, several of the drowning were attributed to people tethered to the lifeline around the cockpit. When the boat went over, their pfd's inflated bringing them up into the cockpit floor which was then the cockpit roof and all underwater. Unable to fight against the 30lbs+ floatation, and for whatever reason could not undo their tether, they drowned. Then they also found that they could not get rescue slings to slip over an inflated pfd. So, with a rescue diver in the water, they had the crew members take off their stupid inflatable pfd's and then jump into the water with nothing so they could slip the rescue sling around the guy and fly him out.

I own an inflatable PFD, but it is a manually activated only pfd. I do not want something going off when i don't want it to. Secondly, I very rarely wear it and rely on solid floatation if i feel conditions warrant it.
Old 12-16-2014

Was it the 5D Hammar (hydrostatic pressure)? The other option is the 5D Pro-sensor (water activated), which has an optional manual conversion kit. I was worried about the Hammar not getting submerged enough (especially when wearing a drysuit) so I got the Pro-sensor version. I'm usually first in line on the rail and it hasn't gone off on me yet, despite taking some moderate sized waves. I also got the manual kit (which I haven't installed), figuring I might need it for doing sail changes in big seas.

The Salus Coastal http://www.salusmarine.com/?products=coastal has a harness and an "optional leg harness to comply with the new 2014 ISAF offshore special regulations" but it doesn't have enough floatation to meet the OSR.
Old 12-29-2014

Cedric- any further info on the PFD? Mine just arrived in the mail and I'm looking at it like a cinder block right now.
Mark