border
Home      Register      Show Groups      Photos      Videos     

SailingX > Yacht Club > Dock talk

Notices

Dock talk General sailing chat

Old 03-10-2015
Supporting Member

Curable? I'm surprised I haven't completely cured!

I have been inhaling styrene since some of you were still in your Dad's shorts...

(It does explain a few things doesn't it???)
Old 03-10-2015

I think Trev is more "pickled" than cured...

I've tried the blob on the outside, I've tried the saran wrap along with putting the top still on,.... I haven't tried the screw or wood plug yet.... if they put the damn stuff in a tube 1/10 the size it would be perfect!
Old 03-10-2015
Supporting Member

They do put the stuff in a tube about 1/10 of the size...

The problem is they charge as though it were 1/2 a tube.
Old 03-11-2015

Send a message via Skype™ to frfletch

Ok. I will pitch into this just because I do a lot of work on boats. Mostly, others have covered the subject well. Just a couple of things:

1. A blob on the outside, then covered with cling wrap or similar and either taped or rubber banded down helps a lot. Just do your best to make sure that the PU is not in contact with any air. Single part PU's are air curing materials, so keep the air out, including that which may be in the tube. You must squeeze the air out with some excess material, then seal the tube on top before releasing the tube or letting it back the material into the tube to let air in. Air is the enemy.

2. Next, store in a cool or cold place, such as the frig.

3. When you go to use the material the next time, pull the plug out. You may still have a problem, but it will only be on the surface. You can use a 3/16-1/4" drill and drill motor to drill the plug out and get to the good material. You will then need some lacquer thinner or acetone to clean the drill bit off.

Using the above, I get 1-year+ after initial opening. Last tip is that 4200 is a faster curing material than 5200 and 5200 also comes in a fast and a slow. You will have better luck with the slower curing materials for extended use of a cartridge or tube.