border
Home      Register      Show Groups      Photos      Videos     

SailingX > Yacht Club > Dock talk

Notices

Dock talk General sailing chat

Old 04-08-2015

Default Opti/Sabot build

I'm thinking about building an Opti with my son over the next little while. Has anyone done this? Any advice? Any plans better than others? Most importantly, can we make it foiling?

Any advice would be welcome thanks.
Old 04-08-2015

I know it's an ancient boat, but the Mirror dinghy was designed for just that purpose. It's really easy to build, simple to sail, and could probably fit both of you (for now at least).

Plans and pre-cut kits are still available

http://www.ukmirrorsailing.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=562:m irror-dinghy-kit-building-instructions&catid=209:building-a-mirror-dinghy
Old 04-08-2015
Supporting Member

I don't know what your time is worth? But if its time you want to spend with your son this may be a better answer.

http://vancouver.craigslist.ca/pml/boa/4927187160.html

Go sailing instead of building...

Yes, you can shoe-horn both of you into a sabot. It'll be great practice for a future SIN Regatta where they used to have the Friday night "So you think your FA(S)T" sabot races for drunken adults....
Old 04-08-2015

My dad built 3 or 4 dinghies while I was a kid. The final one when I was about 10 was supposed to be done "together". I did contribute some labour, and in hindsight I learned a few things, mostly of the "won't do that again" variety. But I am with Trevor- buy a used boat. Cheaper, quicker, frequently a better end result, and you get to actually sail.

If you do want to go down the building path, the sabot is a far better boat than the opti, but you will only sail it with your littlest kid not your preteen. The Mirror is a great sailing boat and could be a good choice, certainly good for two sailors, and fun solo for someone your/our size too. If you really want the satisfaction of doing something yourself, you can always design from scratch too, but that goes back to my point about used boats often offering a better product...

Your kids can learn an awful lot about boats restoring an old clunker without having to build one from scratch. I think I saw a Wayfarer on craigslist for $2k today, those boats could and have take a normal sized family on some pretty incredible adventures.
Old 04-08-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Day4Kid View Post
I know it's an ancient boat, but the Mirror dinghy was designed for just that purpose. It's really easy to build, simple to sail, and could probably fit both of you (for now at least).

Plans and pre-cut kits are still available

http://www.ukmirrorsailing.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=562:m irror-dinghy-kit-building-instructions&catid=209:building-a-mirror-dinghy
Hey.... I have won a few of those...
Old 04-08-2015

oops ... meant to quote manana. see what happens when you drink.
Old 04-09-2015

Thanks for the tips guys! So I think a fellow sailingxer is going to donate his Sabot to the cause. So I can tell my son I built it for him, and he should forever deliver beer to me while I refinish the hull on the soon-to-be-his Laser.

I like the idea of the Mirror in the future. It would be fun to build something. Of course I would need to find space in my garage as it is currently keeping my RV (1972 tent trailer named McLuvin) dry.