border
Home      Register      Show Groups      Photos      Videos     

SailingX > Yacht Club > Dock talk

Notices

Dock talk General sailing chat

Old 04-22-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultraman View Post
Glad to hear there is another option, but driving across 2 bridges and through downtown to buy a shackle doesn't sound like much fun.

Steveston isn't so bad if you can get over the indifferent customer service, ramshackle product display, lack of selection/availability and the random number generator they use for pricing.

Yesterday, I was trying to buy a cam cleat fairlead. Every single one had a different price: $6.89, $7.99, $10.99, $12.99. For the same product on the same shelf hanger.

At Steveston Marine it pays to shop around... inside the store!
I was going to say the same thing...but you beat me to it.

I suppose it's mainly a currency thing, but it seemed like Steveston used to have pretty much the best local pricing on paints and epoxies, but now they are pretty much the same as the others, if not a little more. Taking advantage of their near monopoly it seems.

I used to like Steveston in spite of the jumbled layout - once I got used to it. Now they change it every few months it seems. I really loathe going there now.
Old 04-22-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schnick View Post
Richmond store said that Vancouver will be receiving lots of stock from the other stores as they close, including Toronto which is up fairly quickly. I somehow don't expect them to have a lot of deals until the very last minute though!
Yeah, it will probably be more like the Target closeout sales. Very small discounts until only the crap they can't unload is left.

Actually, the River Marine auction was kind of like that too.
Old 04-22-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by guar View Post
I was going to say the same thing...but you beat me to it.

I suppose it's mainly a currency thing, but it seemed like Steveston used to have pretty much the best local pricing on paints and epoxies, but now they are pretty much the same as the others, if not a little more. Taking advantage of their near monopoly it seems.

I used to like Steveston in spite of the jumbled layout - once I got used to it. Now they change it every few months it seems. I really loathe going there now.
To call the customer service 'indifferent' would imply that they weren't actively trying to get you to leave. I'm not sure this isn't too generous.
Old 04-22-2015

I really miss Nikka! They didn't always have everything in stock, but the guys really knew what they were talking about, their prices were fair, and I never felt like I was interrupting the staff.

At Steveston I feel like I've walked in to a feud of disgruntled employees and that I'm intruding on the staff who are madly reorganizing the store for the 3rd time in as many weeks.
Old 04-22-2015

Sounds like your office!! ;-)
Old 04-22-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Day4Kid View Post
At Steveston I feel like I've walked in to a feud of disgruntled employees and that I'm intruding on the staff who are madly reorganizing the store for the 3rd time in as many weeks.
I don't think it's 'like' that at all - that's exactly the problem. The owner/store manager or whomever he is, is extremely customer service oriented, but he doesn't know much about sailing so he has to get another employee to help, which means dragging them off some other task; like following up on a phone request from a week ago, ordering restock, reorganizing a shelf or... lunch. Their priorities are all messed up, and it's hard to tell if it's because of micromanagement of a lack of.. errr... sharpness. I think the latter.

I actually had a question once and was pointed to another employee across the store. I went over to talk to him and he held up a bag and said "lunch" and walked off.

I will miss West and their insistence that any boat only ever needs one of anything.
Old 04-22-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan View Post
I've been shopping at Martin Marine on the North Shore a bunch recently as have been in the area for work. Been impressed with the stock and service. They've got their new store up and running now and it's starting to come together. Just another option to keep in mind...
I'm a big fan of Martin Marine as well. Although truth be told they are close to me as well. Great friendly service and actually can answer questions with some knowledge!
Old 04-22-2015

Martin is fantastic, but I can't get there during business hours hardly ever.
Old 04-22-2015

I didn't really mean for this thread to turn in to a local chandlery bashing but I'll play. Martin gets and A+ for effort generally; not always the most knowledgeable, but they don't have much competition in that department either. They always try to do their best to help you out.

It is also good to note that Western Marine is a distributor to Lordco and I am sure other autoparts stores, so anything Western distributes can be purchased through them. You can't browse obviously, and they will look at you with confusion when you ask, but as long as you have part numbers they can find it in their system. That is how I found out that Perfection was discontinued when Lordco tried to get pricing for me from Western.

I made my first trip to Fisheries Supply a couple of months ago when I was down there... it was hard to leave. I did find that everything was priced the same in USD as Binnacle has it in CAD so it was actually cheaper to order in Canada.

I hope I can visit Binnacle one day in person as their online and phone service is second to none.
Old 04-22-2015

Trotac in Victoria is very good. Not local, but if you are in the hood ...

Trotac
Marine Supply Store
Address: 370 Gorge Rd E, Victoria, BC V8T 2W2
Phone250) 386-2341