border
Home      Register      Show Groups      Photos      Videos     

SailingX > Yacht Club > Dock talk

Notices

Dock talk General sailing chat

Old 05-04-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by foregeek View Post
The one with the deeper keel and taller rig.
Et tu, Brute? LOL
Old 05-04-2015

I'll agree with K-Man. Simply put, rail meat isn't as critical on a narrow boat as it is on a wider boat. Also, larger heel angles aren't as detrimental to narrow boats generally speaking.
Old 05-04-2015

You guys don't have to be wrong for me to be right. I just lost a race by 3 seconds this weekend, you can't tell me the Abbott would not have gained 3 seconds in that race with 200 more pounds on the rail.
Old 05-04-2015

My (limited) understanding is that you will get more lift from your foils with less heel. Raven has quite a narrow beam, hike hard and there is less helm, when there is lots of heel, ease the traveler and the boat takes off. Weight on the rail may be less effective on a narrower boat, but my experience has been a flatter boat is a faster boat, except in light air.
Old 05-04-2015

Our boat has a number of set ups depended on the style of racing that we do. I do not think that the size of the pole has much to do with the place that you launch your kite. I think it is the size of the kite that is the real issue. When racing on a 50 foot boat, you have to launch from a bag and have done both slot drops into the companionway and through the foredeck hatch. Slot drops much nicer.

Anyone who says that launching out of the hatch is slower... hasn't watch a 242, TBird, etc launch kites. The big difference is that they have bags designed to hang in the hatch which makes the launch much faster.... We have a hatch bag as well and it definitely makes it easy and quick to launch; but, we have a relatively small kite.
Old 05-05-2015

simplest solution: Pole is permanent fixed on the bow. the 1990's called and want their technology back.......
Old 05-05-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffJ View Post
simplest solution: Pole is permanent fixed on the bow. the 1990's called and want their technology back.......
Simple sure, but it makes a hell of a mess when you square the damn thing back to run deep.
Old 05-05-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffJ View Post
Been thinking of doing that.... think a retractable 4 foot sprit coming out of the starboard bow section would wear well on the boat. She sure loves the assyms.
Old 05-05-2015

Could happen this winter on the Schock too. Very tempting. Cost of a carbon tube is a bit disturbing though.
Old 05-05-2015

Send a message via MSN to Hamelyn

Having done both set ups on my Tbird, the only thing I would caution on with the Companionway launch would be the manner in which you store the pole on the boom. We found that the kite would occasionally catch on the pole "holders", in particular when we were using shackles or sister clips to attach sheets to kites. Once we started using knots this generally went away .

In our case we found that focusing on hoist rather than pre-guy first, was the solution..ie Kite up, then finish pre-guying and off we go..

Quote:
Originally Posted by topgum View Post
Anyone who says that launching out of the hatch is slower... hasn't watch a 242, TBird, etc launch kites. The big difference is that they have bags designed to hang in the hatch which makes the launch much faster.... We have a hatch bag as well and it definitely makes it easy and quick to launch; but, we have a relatively small kite.