border
Home      Register      Show Groups      Photos      Videos     

SailingX > Yacht Club > Dock talk

Notices

Dock talk General sailing chat

Old 05-16-2015

Default Unusual Sightings

Here`s something you don`t see every day - a pair of Dashes side by side in the boatyard.

Looked like she came in with a mass of barnacles on the keel.

Sounds like they are gonna tart up Hurricane with a new paint job. I have to say I like the look of her rudder - not sure if custom built or off a donor boat. Doesn`t look like a Farr 30 unit.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20150516_173122.jpg (563.1 KB, 79 views)
Old 05-18-2015
Supporting Member

Same rudder as on AK...
Old 05-18-2015

So a custom built one? I heard Reigh had a mold for something but couldn't remember if it was for the rudder. The planform is nice, not sure what section was used. The one on RR is quit thin and looks like a laminar section. From measurements I've taken maybe a 63A010, Great offwind section but stalls quite readily which isn't what I would want. Talked to one of the previous owners about it and he couldn't tell me the section - just said they kind of used the original sections as a template IIRC.
Old 05-18-2015
Supporting Member

Talk to Jim Hyslop of Robert Allan ltd, he drew the rudder for me and John Spaulding built the first rudder. It was solid glass pultruded shaft with a wood core and a skin of carbon. The rudder took a 6 second hit on Karma. I understand they still use that rudder. Somehow a "copy" was made after John built one of AK, and then there were some others built.
The idea behind the rudder was to add lateral area to the boat as the keel felt a bit slippy and the rudder could not control the boat when the wind was up. In under 8-9 knots it was slower because of the additional frontal area but there was no comparison above 15. A must have for the boat. I remember telling them I dont care what you hit me for the rudder, it is a control and safety issue.

Poor Jeff proved me right some years later by spinning into a freighter and getting a new rig out of the deal. He bought a rudder as well.
Old 05-18-2015
Supporting Member

oh yea the rudder fore and aft size was defined by a 12% cord thickness on the 2 " rudder shaft. I think jim wanted a short cord but I was too cheap to go up in the quality of material for the shaft, bearing system. There were no good inexpensive carbon shafts to be had back then.
Old 05-18-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by canting keel View Post
Poor Jeff proved me right some years later by spinning into a freighter and getting a new rig out of the deal. He bought a rudder as well.
I was on bow that day, it was interesting to say the least....
Old 05-19-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by canting keel View Post
It was solid glass pultruded shaft with a wood core and a skin of carbon.
A fibreglass rudder shaft sounds interesting - I understand the Olson 30s have them. When you say solid glass, I assume you mean a fiberglass rod rather than tube. From what I understand though FRP shafts tend to bend more than SS or carbon. Maybe this isn't as problematic on a 30 footer, but still not desirable I would think, or did it come down to a cost/benefit decision?

Last edited by guar; 05-19-2015 at 12:10 PM.
Old 05-19-2015
Supporting Member

solid pultruded fiberglass. yes it flexes more than SS and carbon. it was lighter than SS and cheaper than both SS and carbon.
Old 05-19-2015

Thanks for the info CK. I imagine one thing that could be done to stiffen up the rudder stock, at least in the portion within the blade is to flat the outer sides and bond to the rudder skins effectively making the skins part of the stock with regards to bending stiffness.

Carbon would probably be the way to go, but I have this unnatural fear of carbon with regards to it's conductivity, brittleness and cyclic loading ability.
Old 05-19-2015
Supporting Member

all the bending is right above the top of the rudder and into the lower bearing