border
Home      Register      Show Groups      Photos      Videos     

SailingX > Yacht Club > Dock talk

Notices

Dock talk General sailing chat

Old 04-07-2016

Default Kiwi Grip

I'm planning to re-do the non-skid on the boat this summer as it's slick as all hell and starting to look pretty bad. I was planning on using Kiwigrip as it seems the least fuss for the best result.

Anyone done this? Is it actually as easy as it looks? My experience is the stuff that seems easy actually has lots of nuance and if you just wing it end up with a mess.

Any tips?
Old 04-07-2016

Send a message via MSN to Hamelyn

two person application works best (one to roll on, one to use the funky roller to tip). Do small areas per batch.

Over to you.....
Old 04-07-2016

Is that an offer to help Hamelyn?
Old 04-07-2016

Had it on the Olson 30.

It's all about prep. As in you need to spend 5 times longer removing fittings and taping everything than applying it. Wait for a warm day, but not too warm.

Kiwi grip is probably the best cheapo/easy to apply non-stick, but it traps dirt and looks like crap after a while.

You also won't be able to sit on it without Kevlar shorts and knee-pads for the first while either.

There is a reason no new boat comes with it on the decks...
Ultraman II - Ross 930 #69307
Old 04-07-2016

I'm still curious about Raptor Deck and the like. Not too pricey and if applied judiciously maybe not a whole lot more than Kiwi Grip all over. Maybe a few hundred bucks if used sparingly?
Old 04-07-2016

I put Kiwi Grip on my floor boards, certainly non skid, certainly traps the dirt and hard to clean.
Old 04-07-2016

When I did Natural high's deck I spread it about half what the recommended amount was. This struck a balance between comfort and grip as well as it being easier to clean. I may beef up some higher risk areas, but it is working pretty well.

I also bought white and had it tinted at home depot to a really light grey so it didn't show the dirt as bad. Probably would be too hot if you were in the tropics, but it wasn't bad when cruising around here last summer
Old 04-08-2016

I thought about Kiwi Grip when I repainted the deck on my boat. But in looking at the reviews, most agreed with Ultraman, and I particularly trust Raven's views on things. Since I was already on-the-fence about the product, I rejected it as a solution.

So I did a bunch of experimental panels and came up with a reasonably good solution. I used Sherwin Williams 7100 ArmorSeal waterborne epoxy industrial floor coating (very tough, chemical and immersion resistant, UV protection). I had it tinted to the same colour as the previous coating, and used Sherwin Williams non-skid additive, and thinned the mixture 10% with their waterborne extender/conditioner. I rolled on the first coat using a 9mm mini roller, which spread the non-skid perfectly. I then waited 10 hours and rolled on a top coat (no non-skid added).

The entire deck took less than two gallons, where as the kiwi grip would have required at least three. The cost of the two gallons was about the same as a single gallon of kiwi grip. The disadvantage is the need to do two coats, but the cost difference alone was worth it. And the look is a lot better than kiwi grip.

Get the product from the guys at the Sherwin Williams industrial store on Raymur. Good guys with lots of knowledge, and they were happy to provide contractor pricing.
Old 04-08-2016

Dan call me if you do Kiwigrip. I'll come down and mentor you through the first section. Also you might want to talk to Phil on Mast Transit. He experimented with three different application methods to see which he like best and I think he still has the three samples on the boat.
Old 04-14-2016

The calculated amount of Kiwigrip for my deck was 2 gallons. I used 3/4 of one gallon at my application level. I am probably going to heavy up some areas like the bow where maximized grip is better.