border
Home      Register      Show Groups      Photos      Videos     

SailingX > Sailor Exchange > Classifieds

Notices

Classifieds Gear, sails and more for sale

Old 07-19-2015

Default Auto Helm 1000

Anyone interested in an Autohelm 1000 for parts before I bin it?
Old 07-19-2015

I may be!! The smoke got out if mine and it hasn't worked properly since. What is wrong with yours?
Old 07-19-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Day4Kid View Post
I may be!! The smoke got out if mine and it hasn't worked properly since. What is wrong with yours?
Not really sure, when it was plugged in it was pulsing, in the past it would pulse for a while and then the rod would start to move, this year no movement at all. Seems there is still life of some sort in it but not the kind that steers das boot. You are welcome to it if you want it.
Old 07-19-2015

Does yours have the slightly irregular-shaped three-pin "flush" style plug?

If so, I'd be interested in the plug if nothing else (the actual plug and tail of wire off the autohelm unit itself.)

Also, before you bin it you might want to open it up and eyeball the solder at the power transistors -- the damn things run so hot on sunny days that they basically unsolder themselves.

My autohelm would occasionally go completely mad and suddenly start steering the boat in donuts, then finally one of the transistors dropped right out and the arm extended fully and stuck there.

Took it apart, cleaned things up, resoldered the transistors back in place (didn't even get new ones) and it's been working fine ever since.

Anyhow, if you are trashing it, then for sure I'd like the plug off of it, if it's the "flush" style three-pin type. If you don't have wire cutters I'll take the whole unit off your hands, LOL.

Can't find an image of the plug, but it's the kind that plugs into this style of socket on the boat:

Old 07-19-2015

Two wire plug. And don't get me started on the complete lack of 15A plug socket things available for simply making it easy to plug in a solar panel that's prewired to a controller for example. Anyway I think our commodore has first dibs until he declines.
Old 07-19-2015

My parents had a soldering iron on board for repairs of their autohell. They had a autohelm 4000 of early vintage I think. I think they still have one, but its a little more reliable now, but i think the duct tape is falling off last i saw.