border
Home      Register      Show Groups      Photos      Videos     

SailingX > Yacht Club > Dock talk

Notices

Dock talk General sailing chat

Old 04-09-2010

Default Sailboat Parking Lot (Aground off English Bay)

How can you tell that Vancouver is normally not a particularly windy city?

Just go for a stroll on the beach after we actually DO get some wind...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN4457.jpg (231.4 KB, 213 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN4460.jpg (483.4 KB, 196 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN4463.jpg (484.5 KB, 173 views)

Last edited by Day4Kid; 11-19-2013 at 03:12 PM.
Old 04-09-2010
amro

the blue reinell 26 that washed up on the beach was safely in moorage a few weeks ago at vrc. i wonder why they pulled it out.

last time i saw it there was a big party of kids on it. 11 or so going out on it, no life jackets, lots of beer. seems like the one in charge was a blonde girl.
Old 04-09-2010

The Reinell was already off the beach when I went by -- just the derelict tri and the two big heavy boats left.
Old 04-09-2010

WTF is that monstrosity in the first pic?? It looks like someone stuck a camper on a boat hull!
Old 04-09-2010
amro

that's what's left of the liveaboard trimaran.

the news last nite showed the cops trying to get him out and into a shelter, and him screaming to talk to his lawyer.
Old 04-09-2010
amro

early news just showed the tri being crushed by a back hoe. lots of bitching on both sides of the arguement.
Old 04-09-2010

One more Shitter out if the Bay YES!!!!!!!

http://www.olsonuldb.com/olson30/index.html
Old 04-12-2010
das908kind

Quote:
Originally Posted by amro View Post
the news last nite showed the cops trying to get him out and into a shelter, and him screaming to talk to his lawyer.
I hope that's not me one-day
Old 04-12-2010

does anyone know what the deal is with these boats? Someone must be camping out on the green and white one, otherwise all the stuff (kayak etc.) would surely have walked away by now. How long do the owners have to get the boat removed before the city sends in the backhoe?

There is also the starboard third of a T-bird under the RVYC drydock. I am pleased that POS boats are being taken out of the moorage pool but it still sucks to see a boat that someone built get trashed.
Old 04-12-2010
SeaWeasel

Oh by the way; there is a 20-26ft sailboat with half a rig sunk off the breakwater protecting the Heritage Marina by the Maritime Museum. Appparently the Reinnell didn't make it.

Here is the deal. Ocean's are managed by the federal government unless there is a local port authority which has juristiction over a given area. The shit boxes hid out in FC because there was a conflict over who controlled the waters. When that was sorted out they stated that they could only spend 20 out of 40 days in the Creek during the summer season and 30 out of 40 in the winter season. The reason people have been mooring off Kits and Jericho is because of this rulinng and these guys now rotate between the Creek and the Beach.

Most of the boats are liveaboards and a few boats being stored. Almost universally these boats are near derlicts owned by "dreamers" who have some romantic idea about living out on the water but lack the foresight and funds to either find moorage or make their vessel's sea worthy. Let's also remember that any one of us who was living out in an exposed anchourage would have had adequate rode out (which none of these idiots did) and would have checked the weather report once or twice a day. They are permitted to anchour in FC if there is severe weather. But afterall what can we expect from people who live in boats like these:

See photos of the inside of some of these boats:

http://www.seaweasel.blogspot.com

I hope the local government doesn't use this as a reason to be more hostile to sailors.