Notices

Dock talk General sailing chat

Old 10-05-2017

White Cloud?
Old 10-05-2017
Supporting Member

yup white cloud
Old 10-07-2017

Just pulled into Snug Cove and tied up next to the venerable Oz.

New owners were busy painting over the rasta stripes

I mentioned that I used to race against her in the '80's when Marda owned her.

They asked if I knew who the original owner was, and the origin of the name.

I don't. But I suspect that Guar knows if anyone does.

How about it?
Old 10-07-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by henryr View Post

How about it?
AFAIK Marda was the original owner. Marda always married VERY well - I would think buying a used boat would be beneath her.

My memory may be playing tricks on me, but I think she may have sailed it in SORC after launching, then brought it up to Seattle.

The boat is too Seattle themed I think to have not been custom built for her:

Oz>Emerald City>Seattle

The 5 or so Oz themed spinnakers. I think Tin Man must have been the 3/4 oz AP because that was the one up most of the time. I recall Scare Crow and Toto and pretty certain there was a Cowardly Lion. Tactically not a great decision because the competition would always know what you're flying.

Now that I think about it, the home port on the transom was unofficially listed as Emerald City.

Custom Irwin 41, quite similar to the very successful Razzle Dazzle - even had similar graphics, but this boat is not Razzle Dazzle which apparently is still around under a different name.

The stern and overall IOR treatment always reminded me of some of Brendan Dobroth's designs such as Coog. I later found out Dobroth worked with Irwin around that time and he also had a hand in designing Razzle Dazzle. I would speculate that while built by Irwin these design probably had more input from Dobroth than Irwin. Not that anyone necessarily cares.
Old 10-07-2017

speaking of Dobroth, that very nice looking 42 foot in the Maritimes is now done to USD 25K; http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1985...a#.Wdl7vdNSxxA

Nice looking boat - but really no market for something like that here. No one to race against and really spartan interior while Oz has quite a decent interior.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 3796009_20140916113857811_1_XLARGE.jpg (106.0 KB, 37 views)
Old 10-10-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by henryr View Post

How about it?
It looks like maybe there's a half-decent looking boat hiding under there but OH MY GAWD THAT DODGER!!!!!!
Old 10-10-2017

I didn't even notice the dodger, or at least that it was part of the boat.

I don't even get the purpose of it - unless Yao Ming owned the boat. There would be a good 6'2" headroom under the cabin top in that portion of the boat anyway - and the helm area is still completely exposed.

Structurally speaking, hacking out the cabin top reduces the athwartship rigidity - perhaps partially compensated by the dodger but almost certainly less than original.

Unless they didn't hack out the cabin top and built it as a second story play area for the kids and pets.
Old 10-10-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by guar View Post
Yup - Irwin 1/2 Ton: http://sailboatdata.com/viewrecord.asp?class_id=1262 above waterline chine - kind of like a Scampi. Was last at VRC IIRC and sold maybe a couple of years ago. Never a really competitive half ton design. We demolished it in about 25 kts on the old Hortense (going back a long ways there).

This one is a fixed keel version. IIRC, there was a version with bilge boards or maybe a triple board (bilge boards and dagger board). In the deck view of the sailboatdata drawing it looks like there are bilge board 'cassettes' (for lack of a better term) and in the GA and profile, it looks like there is a daggerboard slot. I know there were a few IOR triple boarders built, although the bilge boarders (particularly Terrorist) gained more notice.
The boat was brought in by the dealer, Trident Yacht Sales of Al Hicks - the Irwin dealer in those days. Which became Tri-Shore Yachts since. I don't know what the deal was but Lorne Priestley had it (yes, Jason Priestley's Dad) and did the one and only Triangle Island race. Lorne gave up the quest of the race and went cruising not even half way in the process. What happened to the boat afterward who knows. I ended up racing with Lorne on John Jarman's Martin/Peterson 35 "Prophecy" in the late '70's.
Old 10-10-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by guar View Post
I didn't even notice the dodger, or at least that it was part of the boat.

I don't even get the purpose of it - unless Yao Ming owned the boat. There would be a good 6'2" headroom under the cabin top in that portion of the boat anyway - and the helm area is still completely exposed.

Structurally speaking, hacking out the cabin top reduces the athwartship rigidity - perhaps partially compensated by the dodger but almost certainly less than original.

Unless they didn't hack out the cabin top and built it as a second story play area for the kids and pets.
As far as I can tell, nothing was hacked out.

The cockpit is split into two sections, with the helmsman (and maybe main trimmer) aft, and the rest of the crew forward. The companionway is just a horizontal slider at main deck level at the forward end of the forward cockpit. so the dodger is over the forward cockpit and companionway. There is additional framing for soft covers just aft of the boom, and then at the transom. Although I could not figure out how the cover would work without interfering with the boom. I think the helmsman is out in the wet no matter what.

It looked like whoever installed the dodger ran heated air in ducts to help with fogging on the windows.

I don't think any of that was done by the present owner. He seems quite keen to restore it to full functioning condition, so good for him. We did discuss the potential risks of trying to fly the kite shorthanded in big breeze...
Old 10-16-2017
Supporting Member

https://seattle.craigslist.org/see/b...346669853.html