border
Home      Register      Show Groups      Photos      Videos     

SailingX > Racing > Racing

Notices

Racing Tales from the course

Old 09-21-2016

Default 2017 Easter Seals Regatta

It may be a ways out however we are moving the date up in the calendar to the first Saturday in June which will be June 3, 2017. Hopes are that this will enable more folks to come out as the Summer dates over the past decade have not been great for various reasons.

We are also looking at some other event aspects including finding some way to bring back free booze in quantity, lining up lots of smaller sponsors for boats so you won't have to, and ramping up the party.

Note this first weekend of June was historically the Saliva Bay Hangover weekend so there is precedent for sloppiness in early June.
Old 09-21-2016

Great idea changing the dates.

Better idea free beer!
Ultraman II - Ross 930 #69307
Old 09-21-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultraman View Post
Great idea changing the dates.

Better idea free beer!
Get one of the local craft breweries involved...
Old 09-21-2016

It was Heineken back in the day...
Old 09-21-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by henryr View Post
It was Heineken back in the day...
Oh yes, those were the days! What a great race and party....
Old 09-21-2016

Sumo suits and unlimited beer. What could possibly go wrong?

Oh, and free long distance phone calls from phone booths. Even better! Drunk dial your friends in distant time zones.
Old 12-20-2016

Still working on the free beer bit, and I really want to make this aspect happen. Apparently there is some issue with giving out free liquor and 'the law'...

Good news on the Sumo Suit front though, I can confirm this will be a feature of the event. I can also confirm all the permitting is in place so we are a go for Saturday, June 3, 2017.

We hope to have registration open for the Boat Show. Part of the plan is for us (the organizers) to get a bunch of smaller sponsors lined up, especially restaurant and bar/pub folks. We can then assign sponsors to boats, eliminating the need for owners to pay to register, and you will get a couple of bodies on board who will presumably be well versed in all forms of imbibement (as hospitality industry folks tend to be). This idea is being resurrected from the Heineken days and was one of the contributory factors to the party being so awesome - kind of like pouring gas on a fire.

If anyone has any connections to an owner/manager of a restaurant or tavern who wants to send a couple of well deserving employees for a fun day on the water for a $500(ish) sponsorship please direct them my way.

Together we can Make Easter Seals Regatta Great Again!

James McDonald, BBA
Account Executive & Easter Seals Regatta Co-Chair

NAVIS MARINE INSURANCE BROKERS
1201 570 Granville St
Vancouver, BC V6C 1P3

Direct: 604-558-7926
Cell: 604-789-9958
Office: 604-620-4510
Fax: 604-620-4511
Web: www.navismarine.ca
Old 12-20-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Director View Post
I hope you have hats wit that written on them!
Old 12-20-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Director View Post
Still working on the free beer bit, and I really want to make this aspect happen. Apparently there is some issue with giving out free liquor and 'the law'...

Good news on the Sumo Suit front though, I can confirm this will be a feature of the event. I can also confirm all the permitting is in place so we are a go for Saturday, June 3, 2017.

We hope to have registration open for the Boat Show. Part of the plan is for us (the organizers) to get a bunch of smaller sponsors lined up, especially restaurant and bar/pub folks. We can then assign sponsors to boats, eliminating the need for owners to pay to register, and you will get a couple of bodies on board who will presumably be well versed in all forms of imbibement (as hospitality industry folks tend to be). This idea is being resurrected from the Heineken days and was one of the contributory factors to the party being so awesome - kind of like pouring gas on a fire.

If anyone has any connections to an owner/manager of a restaurant or tavern who wants to send a couple of well deserving employees for a fun day on the water for a $500(ish) sponsorship please direct them my way.

James McDonald, BBA
Account Executive & Easter Seals Regatta Co-Chair

NAVIS MARINE INSURANCE BROKERS
1201 – 570 Granville St
Vancouver, BC V6C 1P3

Direct: 604-558-7926
Cell: 604-789-9958
Office: 604-620-4510
Fax: 604-620-4511
Web: www.navismarine.ca
Sounds like it is shaping up to be a fun event at a much better time of year for participation. Looking forward to it.
Ultraman II - Ross 930 #69307
Old 01-04-2017

All right, its spaghetti time. See what sticks. We have a regatta meeting coming up and race format will be one of the topics. To that end, I have been mulling a new race format – a rally. What I envision is assigning points to particular fixed marks as well as setting some inflatables for good measure – lots of options. Scoring would be the trick here. Let’s say one of the furthest out marks would be the Bell Bouy which would be worth 10 points for a boat to round, as compared to the Barge Buoy (say 4 points) assuming the start to be in the vicinity of RVYC. Obviously faster boats will have more opportunity to round more marks in the rally which would have a fixed running time. I was thinking one way to score this would be to index the PHRF ratings to the slowest boat. The slowest boat would get 100% of the points for rounding a mark and the faster boats get a percentage of the points.

Let’s say the slowest boat rates 200 and my boat rates 135. I would get .675 of the points for each mark I round.

Will this work? Other bright ideas? Forget about the mechanics of the race i.e. which way to round & mark rules for now, these will likely have to be tailored to suit if this sounds like it will be well received. One nice thing about this format is that the Easter Seals folks like to have everyone off the water all at once and at a specific time. The rally would run for, say, three hours from start to finish.

Last edited by Director; 01-04-2017 at 02:06 PM.